Author Topic: Still Running like a dog!!!  (Read 6843 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Still Running like a dog!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
Running out of logical things to check on this.

To the slightly illogical,  try moving the timing first advance and then retard about 2 to 3 degrees and run it at both setting to see if you get an improvement or worsening.

Have you considered re-checking the camshaft timing too? 

Offline heliwilly

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 09:51:05 AM »
The only input I can put into this is that as all 4 spark plugs fire at the same time, is it possible that one cylinder is over fuelling and has an exhaust valve open as the spark occurs???

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 09:53:02 AM »
Running out of logical things to check on this.

To the slightly illogical,  try moving the timing first advance and then retard about 2 to 3 degrees and run it at both setting to see if you get an improvement or worsening.

Have you considered re-checking the camshaft timing too?

Camshaft timing is OK, I treble checked it when I put the head gasket on and am 100% confident its OK

Think I will just see what the Boyer testing comes up with and then go from there.

The only consistent thing I can identify is the few times that it has just cut out and died completely. When this happens there is then no spark at all and then fire up again fine once I leaveit for 15 mins or so.

I hate chasing down sporadic issues like this and this one is really beginni to do my head in  >:( >:( >:(
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
The only input I can put into this is that as all 4 spark plugs fire at the same time, is it possible that one cylinder is over fuelling and has an exhaust valve open as the spark occurs???

Interesting theory, but the issue is on 1 AND 2. Any ideas on how I could check for this though?
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
It sounds very similar to the symptoms I had on a Trident 900 when the ignition pickup coil started failing. It ran perfectly until hot, then backfired and cut out. Leave for a few minutes and would start and run for a short time.

I replaced the pickup coil and it was sorted. Maybe you have a rare Boyer failure? It'll be interesting to see what the testing finds.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
It sounds very similar to the symptoms I had on a Trident 900 when the ignition pickup coil started failing. It ran perfectly until hot, then backfired and cut out. Leave for a few minutes and would start and run for a short time.

I replaced the pickup coil and it was sorted. Maybe you have a rare Boyer failure? It'll be interesting to see what the testing finds.

That is really interesting, I too was wondering if it could be the pick up coil issue.  Boyer charge £17 for a full system test and if its a fault and its warranty they dont charge so I figure worth getting it checked anyway

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »
Unsure of wiring diagrams for Boyer,  but usually a coil is earthed via the points on conventional systems.

With electronic "pickup " they don't have that facility on most type systems,  just a trigger pulse that comes from exiting the receptor or chopping a light beam.

That must mean the coils are earthed via the power transistors in the electronic control pack,  in effect switching the earth supply up and down at this point  remotely from "points / trigger" assembly.

What is that earth route?  And can you supplement it with something like a jump lead to engine cases to check it's ability to support switching competently.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »
And after that,  the positive supply to the system to verify that too.

Both of these can checked by taking a run of independent wire straight to the battery + or - terminals to bypass anything else within the bike's own systems,  switches etc.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 01:27:51 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Earth route is via the black lead from Boyer box that is connected straight to Battery Neg post. At least as I understand it !! No issues with this and checked.

I have bypassed also the loom with my temp cable from the stator pick up points direct to the Boyer control box ie the yellow and blue wires that normally go to the coils

Only think I haven't done yet is take a temp direct feed from the battery Pos to the BOyer box to eliminate any issues with loom/kill switch wiring.

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
That wiring diagram has two black wires indicated to the box,  is that true?  Or have they just missed thet"white" description going to the ignition supply connection? 

Not possible to switch those two is it?

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »
That wiring diagram has two black wires indicated to the box,  is that true?  Or have they just missed thet"white" description going to the ignition supply connection? 

Not possible to switch those two is it?

Not sure I follow you. Yes there are 2 black wires (bad practice IMO).  On the K0 there is a black and white wire that terminates in a double connector near the coils. This is the +ve feed for the 2 coil leads. On my Boyer I use the double +ve connector for the black supply feed and the feed to the + side of the coil. All is deffo wired as it should be.

As I said one last test would be to run a single +ve feed straight from battery connected to the coil and box. Then there is no Honda loom in the equation anywhere

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
My grammar there I think in trying to clarify,  I was looking at it and wondering if it said what I was thinking  ;D

So, if the two black wires from Boyer box have the same terminals?  Could they be inadvertently connected the "wrong" way round?  Ie earth to pos and corresponding opposite,  making the Boyer box be in effect wired opposite polarity.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
My grammar there I think in trying to clarify,  I was looking at it and wondering if it said what I was thinking  ;D

So, if the two black wires from Boyer box have the same terminals?  Could they be inadvertently connected the "wrong" way round?  Ie earth to pos and corresponding opposite,  making the Boyer box be in effect wired opposite polarity.

No they are def connected correctly. Am now erring towards some electronic or wiring issue but what I cant get my head round is why the after fire only occurs on 1 and 2.  Now down to either a wonky +ve feed to the Boyer box and coils OR a fault in the Boyer stuff (Sure it's not the coils as I swapped these over). Going to put this post on hold for a couple of weeks till I get the test results back from Boyer
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:43:36 PM by paulbaker1954 »

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »
I fitted Boyer to mine and it ran bad I took it to D&M engineering it turn out after hours of fault finding the box was faulty they put a Dave silver unit on all problems solved. Turns out that I wasn’t the first one with this issue with the Boyer system.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »

have you got the old coils<

maybe they could be breaking down when they get hot

or,can you use a multi meter to check resistance etc
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal