Author Topic: Still Running like a dog!!!  (Read 6787 times)

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Still Running like a dog!!!
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2019, 08:06:38 PM »
Ok so local mechanic who has a good reputation has had bike for a day and is convinced this is a valve problem. Says he has heard similar sounds/symptoms on other bikes down to slightly bent valves that stick when warmed up.

Am now thinking that maybe I have accidentally slightly bent the 1 and 2 exhaust valves when I reassembled after the head gasket change.

This all seems logical as this problem only started after the head gasket change and am sure nothing else was changed, valve timing is correct.

Also thinking back I seem to remember I had a bit of a struggle getting the rocker cover to go on back easily even though I thought I had wound back the adjusters as far as I could.

Started another thread now as this is getting off track

If you have bent a valve whilst putting the rocker cover back on, it’s possible you’ve cracked a valve guide as well. I know because I did it! A very costly mistake.
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Re: Still Running like a dog!!!
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »

If you have bent a valve whilst putting the rocker cover back on, it’s possible you’ve cracked a valve guide as well. I know because I did it! A very costly mistake.

I guess with these bikes its all down to experience, if this turns out to be the cause as you say an expensive but very good lesson learned
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:31:40 AM by paulbaker1954 »
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal