Author Topic: Rear shock absorber bushes  (Read 721 times)

Offline Phantom Rider

• View Profile
Rear shock absorber bushes
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »
After a few months off (sorting out a 1966 Triumph 500) I've finally got back to work on my Honda 400.

The original lower shock absorber bushes had "rotted out" - I've got some new ones from David Silvers, but these are a very tight fit!!  Is there any "trick" to fitting these?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock absorber bushes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
I've not had to change mine but have put similar rubber bushes in before.
Make sure they are warm to soften them and then squirt some silicon spray on the outside. Draw them in with a long bolt or threaded bar and large penny washers.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Phantom Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 06:53:43 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  The bushes on my bike (and as supplied by David Silver) have the rubber component sandwiched between an outer and inner metal bush (hope that make sense), so my challenge is effectively getting the outer metal bush inserted into the swinging arm.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 07:34:44 AM »
Unless you have access to a lathe - or a mate with one, then carefully selected, suitable sized sockets can be used along with a piece of HT threaded rod and nuts.  You need to find a socket for pushing which is slightly less in diameter than your new bush and another socket on the other side of the arm which is large enough inside to accept the old bush.  The problem with most sockets is that they have a radius at the ‘mouth’ end.  It might be worth removing this radius with a grinder so it fits flat to the bush - don’t spoil one that’s part of an expensive set though - best to buy a cheapo.
Make sure you only push on the outside of the bush to avoid the possibility of tearing the rubber.
Hope this makes sense, I can’t get into the toy cupboard to take a pic.

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »
They are called "metallastic" bushes and worst case scenario is to burn out the rubber and carefully cut the outer with a hacksaw blade.
For insertion make sure inner of hole in swingarm is supperclean and polish outer of new bush lightly with fine wet and dry then lightly greas to aid sliding in.

Offline Phantom Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »
Thanks all - cleaning/lubricating the hole in the swinging arm, and using a bolt with washers to pull in the inserts worked a treat.  Bushes now in place  :)

Offline Phantom Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 07:53:15 PM »
Hi Oddjob - I used that technique to fit swinging arm bushes.  Worked a treat!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal