Author Topic: 750K0 Lower Crankcase casting  (Read 834 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
750K0 Lower Crankcase casting
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:02:37 AM »
Anyone know what the purpose  of the 750K0 Lower Crankcase casting circled in red  is?

it appears to be  broken off at the top on my 69 K0 crankcase.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: 750K0 Lower Crankcase casting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 01:43:20 AM »
I can only guess that it’s an oil guide vane to make the oil go to where the engineers wanted it as the crank rotates. The main bearing shell has a tang to locate it, so it can’t be that.

Is it not there in later engines?
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:35:36 AM »
They snap off a small bit at the top when the chain hits it, about 40 out of a 100 engines I do have it broken  ;)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »
They snap off a small bit at the top when the chain hits it, about 40 out of a 100 engines I do have it broken  ;)

Thanks Graham ... should I try to repair it or is it OK to leave it? There was no alloy bit in the engine when I drained it and the tensioner looked like it had recently been replaced... but I got a new one and chains just in case.

This is mine & the damage:-

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
Generally things like that are part of "windage " mitigation that engine designers use.  It's to try and peel off excess oil from rotating crankshaft to prevent a rotating oil mass building up round the crank. 

Where oil comes back down from the head it drops onto the crank more than other extremes of crankcase, so it tries to seperate it to push it down toward the sump usually.  A bit like a potatoe peeler.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 10:02:10 AM »
Wow some very knoledgeable answers
Btw I received my chains ash, thankyou very much

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 10:35:56 AM »
I agree with you Pete and it's the reason why I need my daily fix of the forum 😊. Always a great read, intresting threads, fantastic rebuilds and a good bit of friendly banter. It's like meeting your mates in a Weatherspoons but without the punch-ups😉!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »
Generally things like that are part of "windage " mitigation that engine designers use.  It's to try and peel off excess oil from rotating crankshaft to prevent a rotating oil mass building up round the crank. 

Where oil comes back down from the head it drops onto the crank more than other extremes of crankcase, so it tries to seperate it to push it down toward the sump usually.  A bit like a potatoe peeler.

I have found that they do nothing at all. I never repair them and have never had a problem. And it is always the same size and shape  ;)

My theory is that Honda put it in the casting so, if your chains go loose then it chips the bit off and you find it in the sump. Just a reminder that your chains and tensioner need replacing  ;)   ;D ;D ;D

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:53:23 AM »
Or it could be that Mr Honda put it there so when it did break it clattered round the engine, wrecked a bucket load of stuff and you spent thousands in the dealership getting all the damage repaired.

Alas for Mr Honda he didn't get his sums right and it just dropped to the bottom of the engine instead, which just goes to show, Mr Honda didn't always get things right.  ;D ;D
Ah but what about the bikes down under it would make a mess of them ! ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »
Or it could be that Mr Honda put it there so when it did break it clattered round the engine, wrecked a bucket load of stuff and you spent thousands in the dealership getting all the damage repaired.

Alas for Mr Honda he didn't get his sums right and it just dropped to the bottom of the engine instead, which just goes to show, Mr Honda didn't always get things right.  ;D ;D

Ah but it wouldn't have snapped it off in the first place with the chain hanging upside down  ;D

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »

;D ;D

Ah but it wouldn't have snapped it off in the first place with the chain hanging upside down  ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal