Author Topic: Which Exhaust System Should I Fit  (Read 953 times)

Offline TKMSteve

• View Profile
Which Exhaust System Should I Fit
« on: August 08, 2019, 07:08:17 PM »
Hello everybody. My first time on this excellent forum. Currently in the final throes of putting my 400/4 F2 back together. It hadn't run since 1992 and was in some state when I got it last year. The exhaust manifolds and silencer went in the bin so my question is what do you recommend in terms of a replacement system.
DS does not have any in stock yet. There are stainless systems available.
Is it possible to pick up good used systems?
Your collective thoughts would be much appreciated.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Which Exhaust System Should I Fit
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Hi and welcome. If I were after a replacement other than an original double skinned, I would seriously consider the Delkevic. Excellent price and sounds amazing. Those that have fitted them say the fit is excellent.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline TKMSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:43:01 PM »
The Delkevic system certainly looks like a good affordable option. DS told me back in June they would have their repro system in for end July but still showing out of stock.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Have you only just found it.? ;)

Offline andut

• SOHC Member
  • CB400F, CB400F Cafe & NC30
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
I can recommend the Delkevic system if you're not looking to retain the original styling.  It's good value, fits well and will bring out your inner hooligan (sounds great !!)

Offline TKMSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
I must admit it was only the last two months that I came across this forum. I wish it had been sooner as there is so much great information on here about the 400/4. When I came across the forum I had already stripped the machine down to bare frame, derusted, painted and rebuilt. Same with engine. So had to discover so much for myself during this process. Ah well.
At the stage now of finding all the broken insulation in the handlebar switches causing short circuits in the electrics. Fiddly little things but hopefully sorted now. Will try this evening.
The carbs were an absolute shocker. Slides seized solid. Hope I haven't damaged the bottom ends too much using a lever to shift them.
Petrol tank is rusted through underneath, found at least 6 pinholes that I've repaired with solder but I think a replacement tank has to be the answer.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »
My tip of removing pistons (slides)  from carbs is to plunge them in boiling water (the 'gum' deposits soften and they then usually pull out quite easily).

This will give you an idea on value of the standard system ... would be around £3k landed in the UK   :( :o

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=179_274_195_231&products_id=4036

Their own replica downpipes look great but are only single skinned, which is a real shame ... gawd knows why they can't make them  double skinned ... after all they achieved the double-skin on their CB750 pipes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:33:40 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 01:05:03 PM »
Feck me I have one stuffed under the spare bed  ;D ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 01:54:46 AM »
Good god... even without freight that would be close to A$5K... The DS one is a steal compared to that price.
I may have a lead on a really good set..I just have to convince the owner that they wouldnt suit the Cafe Racer look he is going for... but if it falls through I will go for a Delkevic system.
Looks to be period correct (as if anyone in their right mind would have swapped out the factory system for another 4 into 1) and I am told they sound pretty good. I havent found a decent sound file or youtube video yet though.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 10:16:35 AM »
Good god... even without freight that would be close to A$5K... The DS one is a steal compared to that price.
I may have a lead on a really good set..I just have to convince the owner that they wouldnt suit the Cafe Racer look he is going for... but if it falls through I will go for a Delkevic system.
Looks to be period correct (as if anyone in their right mind would have swapped out the factory system for another 4 into 1) and I am told they sound pretty good. I havent found a decent sound file or youtube video yet though.

If you are in a position to buy one,  you could go for a delkavic yourself and see if you can tempt the original pipe owner into a swap for your new pipe if the cost makes a reasonable trade for you.

They look really well made and quite impressive when in front of someone and fitted to a bike.  They do seem to fit more with a café racer look than std pipe too. 

Could be a way of getting what you want as you'll have a worst case scenario of ending up with the delkavic yourself,  no bad thing at all.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 04:49:11 AM »
What are those springs on the side of this Delkevic system for?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal