Author Topic: 30 years of storage later, the project begins.  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Oddjob

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 30 years of storage later, the project begins.
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2022, 02:51:44 PM »
Just got back from the chromers.

Stack of parts stripped of chrome, I'll remove as much damage, casting marks and pitting as I can, polish them and return for chroming, might be Prestige, might not.

Also had 3 parts chromed, these have come out pretty well considering. I did an exhaust flange just to see how they should come out and it's pretty much as I expected. Vast improvement on not doing anything to them and relying on the chromers to do a decent job. He actually said to me "I don't know what you're doing to these parts but keep on doing it as it's making a big difference to the finish"

I'll just posts some pics of the chroming parts, I dropped off a CB500/550 rear brake arm for chroming and a pair of genuine Honda CB500 UK bars for stripping whilst I was there.

CB400 gear change linkage, first part of the mod done. Need to do some more work on the lever but the linkage bar is done and ready to go get chromed. Chromed, new rose joint fitted in stainless steel and anti-tamper torx bolts, new pinch bolt in stainless with a nice thick washer to stop the bolt head digging into the new chrome.

Exhaust clamp, CB500. Started off like this. Chrome seems to be right down the fins where it normally doesn't get due to polishing restrictions.

Finally, rear brake lever linkage joint, the part going through the frame was very rusty and corroded. The rest wasn't much better TBH, took some work to get a decent result. May use this, may not.

Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal