Author Topic: swingarm needle/roller bearings  (Read 970 times)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
swingarm needle/roller bearings
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:28:30 PM »
has anyone replaced the swingarm bearings with either a roller or needle bearing? and if so, which bearing did you use?  i know standard practice is to use phosphor bronze but i'm working on something that needs a bearing. thanks
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: swingarm needle/roller bearings
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »
There used to be some kits about but they were not that sucessfull as idealy a needle roller needs to rotate and a swing arm only moves a few degrees.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
You need taper roller bearings and a swing-arm with machined inner faces for the bearings to sit against to stop side play on the swing-arm
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »
i'm working on a cbr 600 and the swingarm has two roller bearings on one side and a needle in the other. it does seem pointless as movement is limited, as you say. but most modern stuff has needle bearings these days. i'm fitting the cbr swingarm to the 750 but i dont want to modify the frame at all
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
All non taper roller types need to use thrust washers or limiters in swingarm application to control lateral loading,  so that's no different with bronze or needle.

Needle rollers are fine with limited movement,  most two strokes use them on little end of con rod that doesn't rotate use small angular movement and many more duty cycles than swing arm bushes.

Is it an odd size you need to convert one to the other? Or have you got a bearing with a number on it?

If it's conversion it may just be easier to get a one off bronze bush made to spec,  but only because it would be more convenient to machine than get a specific needle bearing. 

Many of the monoshock linkages use needle roller too in highly loaded application.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
I seem to remember that as i was finishing working on the bikes it was as the Honda first mono rear ends were getting to mot and the link bearing failure rate was very high, also a labourious and expensive job to do whilst the leading link plastic bushes on the small stuff lasted till 10+ and were a doddle to do plus cheap.
Swing arm bushes dont need to be bronze they can be nylon/plastic as long as the correct grade is used, some really good bearing grade stuff out there now.
Two stroke small ends do roll completely as they run, even the uncaged crowded roller ones
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:52:41 PM by Bryanj »

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
quick update, the bearing i need is a 6202-2RSD14C3 which is available but quite a lead time. according to my slightly worn micrometer the 750 swingarm shaft is 14mm so hopefully the above bearing should work, being a 14x35x11mm
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 10:37:39 PM »
Sounds like a good solution, interested to see if it solves your problem when it arrives.

Many of the motocross rear linkages use needle rollers too,  also got that setup on my CBX 750 with original bearings still OK.

I use (what was known as Duckams Keenol) grease in these applications.  It's effectively more or less waterproof for marine environments,  and uses zinc oxide as sacrificial in preventing corrosion.  It's been particularly effective all the time I've used it in keeping them in good condition and no appreciable wear.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 10:41:27 PM »
Not sure were you get the 35 OD from ? The swing arm ID is 26.5. Don't think you can get away with only 14mm depth, the smallest depth I can find on a bush is 32 mm. So if you use 2 bearings per side that may work.

Just twigged, the CBR is 35 ID ?

A C3 is a high speed bearing and will have too much clearance for what you need. A STD will do.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:01:07 PM by Trigger »

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 07:59:46 AM »
the cbr set up is a little strange. on the drive side of the swingarm there is one needle roller and two 35mm dia roller on the opposite side. there are spacers that the spindle passes through also. the width of each bearing is 11mm and the cbr spindle is 15mm. the cb spindle is thinner though, which is why i think a 14mm internal might work - i hope
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline pewe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »
Andy Cepok on eBay.de sells needle bearing kits as many others. I have used that on my CB750 K6 since many years, at least 70.000 km without any issues. My K2 got it too earlier this year.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 05:05:09 PM by pewe »
I can't find a new bike replacing my old CB750

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal