Author Topic: CB750F2 ..... shock mount lower rubbers?  (Read 590 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
CB750F2 ..... shock mount lower rubbers?
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
Just been cleaning up my swingarm prior to painting the thing....and I have an issue.

When I checked her over, the swingarm pivot itself felt fine, and wasn't going to be messed with...but the rubber centred where the shock lower mounts sit are perished as a perished thing.

I don;t want to put the thing together like that, as the rubber bushes look like they will just break up, but I also reckon I am going to have some issues getting them out.

Before I start......

1) Are the bushes available? DSS don;t list them.
2) I presume the drawbolt approach is best....
3) I also presume whacking seven bells out of them is bad for the swingarm and liable to distort the 'eyes' it sits in

EDIT: hmmm.....according to CMSNL ...the F2 part number is 40548-268-000 ..... which DSS stock...but seem to list it as a 'K' part.... oh well. Least I know where to get them now!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:44:50 PM by SumpMagnet »
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB750F2 ..... shock mount lower rubbers?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »
DSS have them in stock, https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_40548268000/
I changed them on my F1, it involved a lot of heat and violence.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
If you are going to use drawbolt method,  in or out, use molybdenum grease on the threads as they'll much more easily give you the clamping torque you need to make it easier.

If you've got a rotary stop hammer drill "SDS" you can get a 1/2 drive socket converter,  put a bolt into the bush just to centre a socket,  size an old socket to match outside of bush and it'll take them straight out.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
Yup...I sense a fair dose of heat and violence incoming. K2...I'll try that grease tip....makes sense!
Going to try drawbolt first...then....if that fails....I may just core out the centre, and hacksaw through most of the outer sleeve to weaken it before I apply violence.

The prospect of heat was also why I want to do this while my swingarm is stripped to bare metal....
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
Funny I took mine out today on a 500...
I burnt the rubber out with a blow torch..and the inner lining just fell out
Then I lightly scored the outer right sleeve with a hacksaw then folded it in with a chisel...popped right out.

I suppose not the ideal way if your just replacing them but if the swing arm is out and going to be painted as mine is ...worked a treat no swearing and not a great deal of violence ...pleasantly surprised..

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 11:21:32 AM »
Success! And no violence needed...

Went the same way as suggested by Woodside ( and thanks to all who offered suggestions ) with one minor variation. Rather than burn out hte rubber, I used an old 3mm drill bit and just drilled through the rubber around the circumderence and pulled out hte bits in between until I could get the centre out. Then hacksawed most of the way through the outer sleeve and punched it in with a chisel. Then the oputer just fell out.

On one I slightly marked the swingarm as the cut went just through the sleeve, but it's not a 'cut'...more a polish mark. I also made sure I cut through on the area where the mount is welded to teh swingarm...as there is a lot more 'meat' there in case something went wrong.

Quick...painless....and as the weather was nice.... the swingarm was hung up on the washing line and painted. Looks nice!
CB750F2 - in pieces

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal