Author Topic: Video rebuild  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Video rebuild
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
 I think you ought to video the stripdown of that one Trigger!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:50 AM »

Already stripped mate.

Seem to have a few bits missing from the kick shaft mechanism and new crank shells have been put in but the crank centre journal is chewed. What a waste of shells but, it keeps Sliver in business  :o 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »
You should start a black museum of pictures Trig.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »

Already stripped mate.

Seem to have a few bits missing from the kick shaft mechanism and new crank shells have been put in but the crank centre journal is chewed. What a waste of shells but, it keeps Sliver in business  :o 
And you busy  ;) ;D ;D

(Attachment Link)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »
I once made the mistake of using Loctite bearing fit under the shells.  The crank would hardly turn so I has to strip it down again and clean the shite off.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
Wow. Just watched both videos, I think he will be seeing the insides of that engine again fairly soon. Not sure he understands the concepts of what it is he is meant to be doing. That's a sure way to get your bearings spinning in the cases if ever I saw one. Hylomar is not meant to be used in that manner, that's either RTV or Hondabond, as Julie pointed out it's going to end up everywhere. And I couldn't wait for the bit Trigger pointed out, over tighten the bolts first then check you have overdone it with the torque wrench, then just to be sure go for it again. What happened to half torque then three quarters etc going round the sequence until fully tight. Funniest thing I have seen in a while. At least he tried. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 05:01:29 PM »
This thread needs more popcorn! ;D

I've seen all the vids before but I'm really really interested in some concepts you guys are discussing here as I'm about to rebuilt my engine. I've referred to his vids and the Haynes book to disassemble so far and touch wood I've not had any major problems. I'm intending on taking as long as it needs to reassemble but knowing things like 'don't oil the back of the shells', 'use Hondabond not Hylomar' and so on are really useful tidbits.

At the risk of exposing some massive industry secrets, Trigger, Julie and all, could you give me a rundown on some good practise and common pitfalls?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
Biggest one is to ensure everything is totally clean before you start and that is especially so when it comes to the oil galleries. If the cases have been blasted (except for soda blasting) ensure that no blast media whatsoever remains on or in the casings. And don't blast the casing insides. Soda blast them if your really not sure you can get the grit out. Any blast grit remaining in the casings will rapidly destroy your new engine.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
It would be useful for members to have access to correct information, especially for precise operations like engine rebuilding. On the honda NSR forum, for example, is a very detailed build sequence for the engine (not a video but a very detailed sequence)... so that members don’t have to look on youtube and fall victim to rogue diy technicians....

Offline daz-j

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 08:09:44 PM »
Hi all, the discussion seems to support Greg65's original point.  I was previously a member on a BMW E30zone car forum which had a 'Wiki' section – articles written and verified by the more knowledgeable members that documented an agreed way of doing particular tasks.  As a beginner I would welcome such a section on here.  I guess maybe that was the intention of the Aladdin's Cave?  The E30zone Wiki had 100's of articles and I think many were written by taking the important points from previous threads on a particular subject.  It was also the 1st place to look before posting a question and so saved a lot of repetition. 

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 09:23:33 PM »
Personally I think Julies build thread is as good a reference as you would want... lots of pictures and good, accurate descriptions.. when I finally get to mine that will be my reference tool.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Man Of Kent

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 04:08:13 PM »
I am so glad that I have read this thread first. I have been watching this chaps video a few times to learn about stripping and building a 400/4 engine. I have never built an engine in my life as I am a joinery manufacturer but I want to learn as I have many projects here to play with. I am just in the process in building a new shed in the back garden to have as a man cave and to play with my bikes in the evening instead of sitting indoors watching the boss of the house soaps.
In the New Year I was going to strip and build the 400 but I would love to see a video showing me how to do it correctly, if I hadn't seen this thread I would have defiantly put oil under the shells and probably made a mistake on the torque settings.
I am a complete novice so am I expecting too much of myself or should I do an SS50 engine first as I have got five of them here. Lol

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 06:08:19 PM »
You will be just fine.....take your time and keep asking questions on here.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 07:25:53 PM »
I recommend that you do a rebuild on a single cylinder engine first if you've never done it before.  That'll be a lot simpler to learn the principles on. On the 400 you've 4 cylinders to do and a lot more components to play with.
Since you have SS50 engines already, learn on one of them before jumping in the deep end. 👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal