Author Topic: Happy Days...My 2005 900 Hornet and the ULEZ  (Read 1976 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Happy Days...My 2005 900 Hornet and the ULEZ
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
A victory has been won over hte money grabbing scheme to tax Londoners for the privelige of actually existing in London.

The ULEZ...or Ultra Low Emission Zone currently exists in central London, but next year, the plans are set to include all areas inside the North/South Circular .... requiring the payment of £12.50 every day to cross the line. For me...and a lot of others...that means my daily commute would be cheaper in a damn minicab than on the bike.

So...I do my research, and there is a way to exempt vehicles made before the arbitrary 2007 date for petrol driven bicycles. You either need your V5 to show an NOx value below 0.15, or you need some other proof. There is a place in Romford that will test your bikle and provide evidennce for £175.... but I chose the third option. My V5 has blanks where the emissions data is....so I e-mailed Honda for a Certificate of Conformity.

This is a document that officially states the exact specs and includes full emissions data for a specific frame/engine number as tested and provided by Honda. It's free to get one...but if you lose it...it's 175 Euro to get a replacement. I applied....and got mine last week. I wondered about the charge in Euros...until I got my package from Honda's PR department in Sofia.....OK.....fair enough!

Scanned in the certificate, and my V5...and e-mailed them off to the TFL website.

Just got an official letter today stating my trusty steed is officially exempt from ULEZ charges.

Of course....when I finally finish my 750F2...she's over 40 years old and will also be exempt!

But for the rest, it can be done, and it's not hard. Some manufacturers charge money for the certificate...but Honda don't. If you own a pre- 2007 bike....get your certificate! Whether you need it or not. Being able to prove your machine is ULEZ compliant will, I reckon, increase it's resale value and make it a lot easier to sell should you want to.

I got all my info from here:
https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/loophole-means-older-motorbikes-may-still-qualify-for-ulez-exemption/
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Days...My 2005 900 Hornet and the ULEZ
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »
A victory has been won over hte money grabbing scheme to tax Londoners for the privelige of actually existing in London.

The ULEZ...or Ultra Low Emission Zone currently exists in central London, but next year, the plans are set to include all areas inside the North/South Circular .... requiring the payment of £12.50 every day to cross the line. For me...and a lot of others...that means my daily commute would be cheaper in a damn minicab than on the bike.

So...I do my research, and there is a way to exempt vehicles made before the arbitrary 2007 date for petrol driven bicycles. You either need your V5 to show an NOx value below 0.15, or you need some other proof. There is a place in Romford that will test your bikle and provide evidennce for £175.... but I chose the third option. My V5 has blanks where the emissions data is....so I e-mailed Honda for a Certificate of Conformity.

This is a document that officially states the exact specs and includes full emissions data for a specific frame/engine number as tested and provided by Honda. It's free to get one...but if you lose it...it's 175 Euro to get a replacement. I applied....and got mine last week. I wondered about the charge in Euros...until I got my package from Honda's PR department in Sofia.....OK.....fair enough!

Scanned in the certificate, and my V5...and e-mailed them off to the TFL website.

Just got an official letter today stating my trusty steed is officially exempt from ULEZ charges.

Of course....when I finally finish my 750F2...she's over 40 years old and will also be exempt!

But for the rest, it can be done, and it's not hard. Some manufacturers charge money for the certificate...but Honda don't. If you own a pre- 2007 bike....get your certificate! Whether you need it or not. Being able to prove your machine is ULEZ compliant will, I reckon, increase it's resale value and make it a lot easier to sell should you want to.

I got all my info from here:
https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/loophole-means-older-motorbikes-may-still-qualify-for-ulez-exemption/

Thanks for the info.

My 99 ST1100 may also comply?

Do you have the Honda e-mail address that you used?

Thanks

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:57 PM »
Just applied for a COC. for the 125. Thanks for the info.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/certificate-conformity.html

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »
The link Moorey posted was the one I used.

I got my certificate back within a werek ( they say 5 days )

It will tell you what your emissions are ( well...the bike...my emissions don't meet any standard of decency...especially after a decent curry )

Look for the NOx value...and if it's below 0.15 g/km then you meet the standard, and you can scan and e-mail that and your V5 to TFL.....and within a few days, you should get confirmation. I did!

If your NOx level is not shown, or is over the limit...then that's basically it...unless you modify the bike to lower emissions, and head to Romford and spend £175 for a test to show your emissions comply. I reckoned it was well worth the time...and as it cost me nothing....why not!
CB750F2 - in pieces

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 10:17:58 PM »
Thanks for the info and dome great detective work. I'm going to see if my 99 VFR800 will meet the regs.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »
The more people know the better!
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
Well my 2005 125 is a no go 0.22g/km I received my Cert  today.  :(

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
damn ...... shame
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline sprinta

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »
Got an e-mail back from them today.

They only have C of C's for bikes built after 2001, so they can't provide the details for my 1999 ST 1100 or any Honda before then.

Anybody here got a 2001 to 2003 ST 1100?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:36:21 PM by sprinta »

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »
looks like I hit lucky!
CB750F2 - in pieces

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal