Author Topic: Nickel frame restoration tips  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Rickman Pete

• View Profile
Nickel frame restoration tips
« on: September 07, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
Evening all

Anyone got any good solid advice for restoring a nickel frame and preventing further rust.  I dont really want to have it renickeled unless i really have to as i want it to look its age with sensible patena but not tired. But it definitely needs to be sealed or something to prevent further issues

Thanks

Pete

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Nickel frame restoration tips
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
Wax, easy to top up, won't de laminate and flake like lacquers etc. Blaksmiths use beeswax but a hefty use of under diluted wash and wax once a week kept a fair portion of my chrome intact for a decade of winter riding on my 500/4. It does need regular topping up.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 10:25:52 AM »
That's a good idea with the beeswax method👍.
If you do decide to go the beeswax route contact your local beekeeping association (I'm a member of my local group at Ruislip & Pinner). At this time of year the hives have just had the honey removed from the frames and some wax is left as a residue from the extraction process. You'll need to thin it down a bit (heat it very gently in a pan to melt it) but once it's on it will last for ages. Unfortunately we sold all our beeswax to someone who makes and sells beeswax candles for Christmas!
Oh, and buy a jar of honey from your beekeeping association whilst you are there, you'll be amazed when you taste it 😊🍯.
Cheers
Dave
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Rickman Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »
Wax, easy to top up, won't de laminate and flake like lacquers etc. Blaksmiths use beeswax but a hefty use of under diluted wash and wax once a week kept a fair portion of my chrome intact for a decade of winter riding on my 500/4. It does need regular topping up.

Good advice. Thanks

Offline Rickman Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
That's a good idea with the beeswax method👍.
If you do decide to go the beeswax route contact your local beekeeping association (I'm a member of my local group at Ruislip & Pinner). At this time of year the hives have just had the honey removed from the frames and some wax is left as a residue from the extraction process. You'll need to thin it down a bit (heat it very gently in a pan to melt it) but once it's on it will last for ages. Unfortunately we sold all our beeswax to someone who makes and sells beeswax candles for Christmas!
Oh, and buy a jar of honey from your beekeeping association whilst you are there, you'll be amazed when you taste it 😊🍯.
Cheers
Dave

Will do thank you

Offline Rickman Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:06:40 PM »
How would you recomend applying it. Warming wax. Warming frame or just rub it on n rub it in

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
Ankor wax would possibly be a good product for what you are after...

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »
The trouble with just beeswax is it really needs to be applied to quite hot metal for it to penetrate the steel whilst the structure is quite open at a molecular level. Mix equal parts beeswax, boiled linseed oil and turps and it will penetrate far better if you are doing it cold.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »
Or just buy beeswax furniture polish which is pre thinned with turpentine to ease application. Best done on a hot day, so a second coat next summer I geuss. For blacksmithing you just heat the ironwork in the fire and apply a stick of solid wax which spreads out really easily and just flows over the surface. You can use candle wax on a hot day which is what I did after rebuilding my dads tractor sawbench, no point in painting the table top as it's meant to be very slidy for wood to travel on it easily, no small order for something so old and pitted but I really didn't want to replace the deck as well, there was hardly any original metal left after attacking the structural rot. Never ever want to see  another, it was bent in evry dimension and rotted through. The wax is quite good as it fills any pits smooth and stops any further rusting.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 08:51:41 AM »
Plus the bonus of been able to ride around smelling like a chest of drawers ;D

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 02:02:41 PM »
Here you go Oddjob, an interview with Me Sheene conducted by the beautiful Jenny Hanley back in the day of Magpie (for those of us that can remember Magpie 😊). The end is a bit risqué for a kids TV programme but it was the 70`s!

https://youtu.be/wW6_THfEt-M
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 08:20:29 PM »
Plus the bonus of been able to ride around smelling like a chest of drawers ;D

You might be able to ride as good as Mr Sheene  ;D ;D ;D

Still missed Barry.

Been a Yorkshire lad I always preferred Mick Grant. ;)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 08:38:52 PM »
Speaking of which

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And Mick was pretty special on that 750 triple Kawasaki round the island wasn't he.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 12:37:51 AM »
Speaking of which

(Attachment Link)

And Mick was pretty special on that 750 triple Kawasaki round the island wasn't he.

I used to call in  regularly for a natter with Mick when his garage was next to the pub in Middletown.  Handy it been next to the pub . :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal