Author Topic: Tapered bearings leaving little thread for the head top  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tapered bearings leaving little thread for the head top
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 01:32:34 PM »
Regarding the bottom races and seals, yes, it goes washer > seal > race. In my pic you can see the seal up top, but they do make a good internal seal to the race that's difficult to see sideways on. If I'd known I'd need a pic I'd have taken one!

All told, *my* setup (your mileage may vary) puts the top yoke at exactly the same height as was with the standard bearings. I made a specific note of checking the shoulder of the top of the fork tube was in the right place, prepared for it being a weenie bit high or low, but it's exactly right.

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
Sometimes I love being prepared, photo attached....

Top seal, bottom seal (note the internal diameters) and two different thickness lower race washers (should be called shims, but I'll let that slide....) and one upper.

Because Saturday night Sprocket is an absolute rockstar you can see the instructions with this kit that tell you about the lower race too. :)

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »
Taking the top seal off would likely give me the clearance I need. I was using the thinner shim on the yoke, but I tried without the shim and got the binding on the frame as expected. Unfortunately, I mangled the bottom seal while experimenting.

Sprocket, you wouldn't happen to still have the packaging with the product code for just the bottom seal would you? I couldn't make it out from the pic.

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 09:41:26 PM »
Looking at the original Honda parts list, there's a bottom dust seal, and no top one. Shame I mangled my bottom seal when all I needed to do was remove the top one.

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 09:53:05 PM »
Sprocket, you wouldn't happen to still have the packaging with the product code for just the bottom seal would you? I couldn't make it out from the pic.
Well yes! Trouble is I also have the packaging for the top seal and they are both empty! They are 33-1024 and 33-1007 (Think this is the bottom one, larger ID, on the left of my photo)

Offline Winterfield

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
That's great, thank you. I'll see if I can find a UK supplier who will send me just the seals.

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 12:39:41 PM »
Just installed new bearings on my 350f (All-balls kit) last weekend, and this link was very very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

I used the smaller spacer (of the 2 options) at the bottom after measurement of the bearing, spacer and seal stack as described in the link.
At the top, I was able to use the seal, spacer (as All-balls manual describes) and top nut with the curved down cover attached.
Agreed, there is much less thread left than originally, but still a comfortable 1,5-2 full turns. Enough to properly tighten it down.
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal