Author Topic: Repair on flywheel magnet  (Read 1109 times)

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Repair on flywheel magnet
« on: September 22, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
I have been trying to locate a replacement flywheel rotor for my Z1300, and seem to be unable to find the correct one, also no one does repairs on them. My question is the magnets are complete but one has a crack across it, the crack is not on any of the 2 holes that are used for the ignition pick ups, if I was to seal the crack and around the magnet with epoxy would the flywheel still function properly, I know I would be putting another North- South joint in one of the magnets, would this affect the charging or would the magnetic field still be sufficient to correctly charge the system , has anyone any experience with this as when searching the net people say it will ,but have not backed it up with either experience or Electrical knowledge.
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Repair on flywheel magnet
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
Interesting question.

It looks like it will change the frequency output of the alternator with more poles,  but whether that will have any significant affect down the line I don't know.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-frequency-of-AC-signal-generated-by-alternator this link discussing it offers something of analysis. 

Some cars use frequency output of alternator to signal rpm with the tachometer reading those pulses.  Whether it will impact anything on your bike I'm not sure. 
Presumably advance and retard for ignition is coming from ignition pulses and not alt frequency,  so should be ok.  Any other electrical components you d have to consider individually I suppose.  I've used mains supplied pumps before that had calibration dependant on 50hz of that supply for example but can't think of anything like that on a carb fed bike.  Unless,  it's fuel injection.  But even early types of those also took rpm pulse from ignition coils as car type alternator are driven from non-timed belt and bike units where derived from those. 
The bike of course has the alternator timed directly with the crank.

If it's fuel injection,  you'd be looking for a pulse wire from coils to ecu,  if that's absent it could possibly be frequency pulsed. Detailed wiring diagrams may show you.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:02:48 PM »
The weight and adhesion of the epoxy should also be considered in regards to balance when spinning at high rpm.

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:34:14 PM »
Thanks for that, it would appear that the magnet its self shouldn't adversely affect the charging and as regards the point made with the crank balance the magnet is complete (just with a crack) and I will only be replacing epoxy that has been removed so shouldnt really make a great difference, I may try to set  up a balance rig and ballance the flywheel. I will do this as a back up while I still try to procure the correct rotor , Im sure one will turn up eventually. 
Triumph Rocket3, Suzuki GT 750A, Kawasaki H1B, Honda 400 Four, Triumph Speed Triple

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »
A long shot Ogri but have you tried D&K?
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline ogri211

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
sent them a message but they just said they have them on ebay , none of these are the right one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal