Author Topic: Electrex rec/reg on CB550K1  (Read 2092 times)

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Electrex rec/reg on CB550K1
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
drive like a hooligan maybe!

Translation: ride normally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that why my battery charges?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
yes!  ;)
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »
Erny, these pics of LED lights on a truck show what I have against LED (except for taillights maybe). They are a joke, really and it is as the expert told me: LEDs need a special reflector. As soon as I ride out- it's raining all the time now - I will make a pic of how well my little 20 Watts Ba9s illuminate the total headlamp reflector making it a fine DRL.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:52:44 PM by deltarider »

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 02:55:45 PM »
I know that well, normally LED bulbs replacement like H4, H7 etc are disaster in standard parabolas. However they are fine in big style Honda flashers, both as position lights and flashers. Will make some photo/video to show later.
Now I use LED in taillight and rear flashers and it is very good, except maybe flashers are bit too white or not as orange as before, dut to use of white LEDs. I plan to change them to amber and it will be great.
Benefit is clear, effect of switch on/off of brake light is much more visible (safety behind you) and lower consumtion too.

I know that like that bike is no more stock, but in this case I'm OK to make exception, due to higher safety and better energy management.
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »
Generally led light source are focused with a condensing optic to project all the light toward target. 

Tungsten light sources radiate (complete sphere)  and so have to be collected by a reflector to get it all headed in the same direction (headlamp reflector)  before passing it through a focusing lens.

So fundamentally different arrangement.  The "halo" lights on current vehicles,  you are just looking straight at the led array with no reflector visible.

We could explore it in a dedicated thread if you want rather than weave it in this rectifier one.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
If you allow me, a little more on the subject and why I consider LED less safe where it concerns indicators and brakelights.
As far as safety, in particular the attention value, I favour ordinary bulbs over leds in blinkers and brakelights. It may sound strange, but LED brake- and indicatorlights do not draw as much attention as bulbs do. The reason is that ordinary bulbs glow on and off, where Leds are either on or off. In other words: with glowbulbs there is more chance you'll see something is changing. Do not forget that our brain is programmed to detect changes. Now we all blink our eyes from time to time. In such a blink a led can be switched on unnoticed, where with conventional bulbs after you've blinked you can still see the lamp coming on or going dim. Some time ago I almost ran into a bus in front of me. I had missed glowing brakelights in my eyesight and the clean Leds that had come on unnoticed, had not alarmed me at all. And this was not the first time...  Led lights can be a good thing for taillights, but I don't want them in my blinkers and certainly not as a brakelight. If other drivers are like me, I'd run a higher risk being rearended. Carmakers seem to have realised this 'deadness' of these LED blinkers and now offer 'special effects' that restore the attention value. https://youtu.be/6YHqvdaLMU0
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:35:56 PM by deltarider »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »

We could explore it in a dedicated thread if you want rather than weave it in this rectifier one.

Don't worry deltarider,  I wasn't "moderating " the subject just that sometimes someone else will point out thread drift. I'm not bothered where it is.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
In answer to the yellow bulbs :-

They look to me like they would give a yellow light as they are more "lemon citrus" colour which excludes red component,  which is the part that makes it look orange.

What filaments do they have?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 09:44:43 PM »
I don't know. 12V 21 Watts halogen, that's all it says, brand unknown.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 11:06:26 PM »
As long as it's not led then halogen means tungsten filaments.

You really can't tell just from looking at it so it's something you're going to have to get an example to try,  but the coating in that picture looks like it stands a good chance.

Basically the tungsten when glowing emits principally both yellow and red spectral output at that spec.  So yellow filter will help make it appear yellow by absorption of any blue light.

But you need to screen out the red part with a cyan filter to prevent your eye seeing red and yellow mixed to create orange. The filters are not a perfect spectral "cut" so one may overlap the other,  hence the suck it and see approach.

Also driven at below target voltage it will display more red component,  and driven to a higher voltage it will move more to yellow. So many variables making it difficult to predict.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal