Author Topic: Portable media blaster?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Portable media blaster?
« on: September 30, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »
I stumbled across this "sat in a barn for centuries, will it start?" video.  Shocking spoiler alert: yes, it will....

https://youtu.be/LTCG3enLpV8

Actually, I don't recommend watching it, it's full of tool use and techniques which will make many of you turn over in your graves!

But this guy uses a cheap media blaster with baking soda to clean up parts I never would have considered - dismantled carb bodies, fuel petcock parts... and he just holds the items in his fingers while blasting all the crap away!  No sign that he's done anything to rinse the soda from the parts after blasting, but the video is highly edited, so who knows?  Should I consider getting one of these?  As he's using it, it seems like a cheap and easy - and fairly environmentally friendly - way to clean up parts.  Can fueling components be safely soda blasted in this fashion?

This one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Portable media blaster?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:46:15 PM »
What he doesnt show you is the god awful mess the baking soda will make to the general area around you... lol
And if you try to hose it in it will kill pretty much anything... grass, plants etc... probably not weeds though... they seem to thrive on stuff that kills everything else.

It does a good job but I would still put the carbs through an Ultrasonic cleaner afterwards and make sure every single orifice etc was blown out with compressed air.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
I wouldn't mind a little less grass in my driveway!  Seriously - mine aren't actually that bad, I don't think it would be necessary.  I think I asked about this in another forum as well, and concerns were raised about whether this particular unit had enough air flow to do the job...

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:47:42 PM »
Nice video, great to see another one brought back to life instead of rotting away, though I think that a lot more work went on than is shown.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »
Obviously a man after my own heart with impecable taste with a 350f and a 750f in the background.  ;)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:11:12 PM »
What he doesnt show you is the god awful mess the baking soda will make to the general area around you... lol
And if you try to hose it in it will kill pretty much anything... grass, plants etc... probably not weeds though... they seem to thrive on stuff that kills everything else.

Yup it does make a hell of a mess and it does use a lot of baking soda. I tried to clean my engine cases with it, whilst it did work to a degree it was very slow and wasted a lot of soda. But I do disagree with you on it killing grass etc. It just washes away with water and it doesn't kill us humans in cooking so why would it kill grass?
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:19:20 AM »
Probably down to concentration Mike.

Dog wee contains ammonia which is the basis of most nitrogen fertilisers. However, when applied in the concentration from little Fido, kills the grass.

I know…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »
Probably down to concentration Mike.

Dog wee contains ammonia which is the basis of most nitrogen fertilisers. However, when applied in the concentration from little Fido, kills the grass.

I know…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe get Fido to pee on stubborn dirt!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
I spent mths with the iwon’t a media blaster, did all the research only to find out the size of the compressor needed would have to be on an industrial scale, 200/250 ltr just don’t cut it apparently.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »
Wish I could work that fast.  ;D
Bought a bench top cabinet a good few years ago. Works pretty well on bike parts. Not tried carbs cos my media is a bit too fierce. May give some soda a try.
At least it is contained.  ::)

Offline simonc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 04:30:04 PM »
 I also use a soda blast gun on parts agree slow using a lot of media, but good   patience required and it does kill grass. ;)
one job leads to another
cb72 1964
cb550f1 1976
cb550f1 1976
cb550 1977 with cb 500k engine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal