Author Topic: My ignition is sparking across my plugs now  (Read 827 times)

Offline Gary400/4

• View Profile
My ignition is sparking across my plugs now
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »
Many thanks to the forum for all the pearls of wisdom, for my ignition dilemma. With what has been aforementioned, taking heed of this, concerning testing for insulation across my open and closed points. I am happy to state, that after taking my points terminations apart, and smearing silicon sealant in and around the hole in the tab that the terminal bolt passes through a couple of days ago. I can now confirm that testing across open and closed points with ignition leads and condensors removed. That the points are reading upon a continuity scale on a test meter. Open at infinity no circuit between the moveble point contact and ground. The moment the F1-4 mark aligned with the index mark. It remained open to the point the F2-3 F mark came around to align with the index mark. The points 1-4 went closed circuit until 180 degrees later when the F1-4 mark came around to align with the index. When they went open circuit.
This is a change from what was happening before which prompted me to sign up to the forum.

Bouyed by this I tested for a spark across  a plug to ground, on both coils. Given the daylight was becoming dusk. I fitted a charged car battery with attached jump leads to my battery HT cables. I turned on the ignition, pressed the starter button, the engine spun over rapidly. Oil light went out and I saw faint sparks going across the electrode on my test spark plug. The fact they are faint is because the condensers are preventing arcing, the speed the engine was being turned over, the gap across the tip of the plug. If it is normal for a weak looking spark. I will put the tank on tomorrow and put fuel in and try to get it to run? One more thing, I am concerned there is too much suppression on the coil HT leads. The fact is the plugs are R type NGK with a 5 kohm resistor built in and the suppressor caps are also 5kohm resistor meaning each coil is subjected to 10kohm additional resistance.is this a cause for concern?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: My ignition is sparking across my plugs now
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »
Ditch the R plugs.
Also. If the caps are of age. At least check the resistance. Renew if in any doubt.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
I thought the points wiring connections would be a possible cause of your problem.

The spark plug sparks are faint because you have suppressed spark plugs and plug caps. Don't use both. Get D8EA plugs to use with those plug caps.

The condensers stop arcing across the points gap, not the plugs.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »
Resistance + resistance = too much resistance. Ditch the R plugs.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
And treat yourself to some new HT caps if they're old.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal