Author Topic: No ignition sparks at the plugs  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: No ignition sparks at the plugs
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
I’m no electrician (plenty here that are) but you’re measuring the voltage on an open circuit ... and not under load.

(a car battery will often show a healthy enough voltage across it’s terminals, but when asked to crank will go phzzt.
Or consider connecting your multimeter to your battery via two hair dimension filament wires. Yea, you’ll prob see 13.6 volts whatever, but these two wires will  never deliver the power necessary to drive lights / coils / whatever.)

When the points close, a couple of amps (/ coil) is needed, and if the circuitry (switches / looms / bullets) are in poor shape then you will not get the power needed (volts x amps) to feed the coil(s).
... which is why I suggested you hot wire the coils directly to the battery.

Good luck Gary, let us know the eventual answer. Oh, and a belated welcome to this great forum.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:33:09 AM by Lobo »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 08:36:44 AM »
More to the point you cant measure resistance(ohms) with a capacitor/condenser in circuit.

Offline Gary400/4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »
I was checking my insulation resistance across my points. Which I  rotated in a clockwise fashion with a 22 mm six sided socket on the hexagon. I made the following observation. As the ATU rotated towards the F mark for both both sets of points. At the point the F mark became inline with the timing mark. My test meter went from confirming continuity across closed points to a brief incident of infinity open circuit. Yet within a couple of mm movement of additional rotation. My test meter continued to show continuity across an open set of points to ground. My question is this: At the fraction of a degree when my F mark aligned with the index mark which gave me an open circuit infinity resistance reading. Is this a normal open circuit length of time for my coil and condenser to discharge. To give me a spark at the plug. Which I don't have at the moment?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 05:44:45 PM »
The points should be open for longer duration than that.

Try putting an insulator ( piece of plastic milk bottle perhaps)  between the point's contact faces and then meter across them.

If youve still got continuity ( beep circuit test meter) then something there is wrong as it shouldn't track through.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
remove the wires to the points and check each wire to earth for open circuit, then check the points without wires connected.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal