Author Topic: TORQUEING REAR AXLE  (Read 2717 times)

Offline StevieWonder

• SOHC Associate
  • Oh, fast and shinny. Me like fast and shinny.
    • View Profile
Re: TORQUEING REAR AXLE
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
Thanks for your opinions. My initial appeal was for help in torquing the rear axle without removing the exhausts, but none of the suggestions provided certainty that it would be correctly tightened. Having devised a solution I thought I'd share it. There are only a few torque settings on the CB750, so in my opinion these are important and in fact my rear axle was too loose. I now have confidence that it isn't and future chain adjustments can be done correctly and conveniently. Correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:56:54 PM by StevieWonder »
Previous Bikes:
Honda S90
Honda CB125 Twin
Triumph T90
Honda XL250
Bombardier Can-Am 250
Honda CBX750

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 09:45:20 PM »
Not wrong things should be done propperly. I'v just never done things like that as tight as the manufacturer suggests as there almost always imposible to undo at the side of the road with tools supplied.
Have you ever tried to undo a wheel on your car with the brace supplied when torqued up to the manufacturers spec
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline StevieWonder

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 10:46:31 AM »
Thanks Green1, I hear what you say, car wheel nuts can be difficult to remove. However, the rear axle suggestions provided (stand on it/ use a long leaver) would likely result in an over-tightened axle nut hindering removal and even if you could loosen the nut, changing a bike wheel at the roadside is hardly an option. Though I will try and undo the correctly torqued nut with the standard tool kit shortly and advise.

Evidently over 50-years and some 400,000 CB750K examples, there have been few if any problems associated with tightening the rear axle. It seems to withstand over-tightening and under-tightening, supported by the chain adjusters. I just want to tighten it correctly and now I can.
Previous Bikes:
Honda S90
Honda CB125 Twin
Triumph T90
Honda XL250
Bombardier Can-Am 250
Honda CBX750

Offline StevieWonder

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
Just to complete the story. A rear axle wheel nut tightened to 67 ft/Lbs can readily be removed with a size 10 shoe and the standard tool kit hex spanner with extension. Just undo the footpeg nut a few turns.
Previous Bikes:
Honda S90
Honda CB125 Twin
Triumph T90
Honda XL250
Bombardier Can-Am 250
Honda CBX750

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal