Author Topic: Lets build a SOHC for less than a grand  (Read 24567 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets build a SOHC for less than a grand
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »
Have a bit of time today so, thought I may as well get the forks assembled.
The stanchions were a little rusty and pitted were water had been trapped under the head light brackets, the travel area is good to go. This was done by a  Metallisation Flame Spray in the form of a single wire of zinc is melted in an oxy-propane flame. The molten material is atomised by a cone of compressed air and propelled towards the substrate. The molten zinc solidifies to form a dense strongly coherent coating with excellent anti-corrosion qualities, 35-40 microns.

The internal parts have been through the wash and have been sitting in diesel to prevent any rust.

I always use 13mm fork seals as, I have found that the 11mm ones seem it leak after a while and will be using ATF, instead of that expensive top shelf stuff  :o

That's another £4 spent on seals  ;)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:35:41 PM by Trigger »

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2019, 12:40:31 PM »
Is that red diesel Trig    Hope your not running the Landy on it   LOL  !!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2019, 01:41:31 PM »
I have never used any special tool to get fork seals in.
In the workshop oven at 50c or gas mark 0.4 for 15 mins, wipe a smear of silicone red grease around the seal and push in. If it doesn't go all the way home, then just use a old seal on top and tap it with a hammer until you can get the circlip in.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:44:19 PM by Trigger »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
While in the storeroom found a nice pair of headlight brackets, only a little mark on one of them.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 01:50:05 PM »

Its a landy and I am sure I read in the official Land rover manual that you should only use red  :o

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 02:59:18 PM »
No good asking Trig that question Ross.... Fuel filling of all vehicles in this house comes under household chores, which is another one of my departments 🙄🙄🙄🙄
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »
No good asking Trig that question Ross.... Fuel filling of all vehicles in this house comes under household chores, which is another one of my departments
If it was a "proper" Landy, you could run it on old vegetable oil, which a local chip shop pays us to take away! Eco friendly bio diesel, and recycling! Problem is with modern electronic control stuff it can't handle it!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
No good asking Trig that question Ross.... Fuel filling of all vehicles in this house comes under household chores, which is another one of my departments
If it was a "proper" Landy, you could run it on old vegetable oil, which a local chip shop pays us to take away! Eco friendly bio diesel, and recycling! Problem is with modern electronic control stuff it can't handle it!

Used to run my old Sierra 2.3 diesel on old cooking oil in the late  '90's, strained through a pair of Cathy's old tights until I got nicked by the Frying Squad   ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2019, 04:41:54 PM »

Used to run my old Sierra 2.3 diesel on old cooking oil in the late  '90's, strained through a pair of Cathy's old tights until I got nicked by the Frying Squad   ;D

That actually made me laugh out loud Ash. 😂😂
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »
Hairy if your local chippy asks to take the oil you are well in, was running my Mitsubishi L200 on 100% bio diesel till used oil got too expensive, then last local seller got shut down by HMRC!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »
Hairy if your local chippy asks to take the oil you are well in, was running my Mitsubishi L200 on 100% bio diesel till used oil got too expensive, then last local seller got shut down by HMRC!
Strange area if the tax rules there, you are allowed to produce/use 4,000 litres of bio fuel per annum and provided it is for personal use, duty free. If you use it in a work can or similar though it becomes liable for duty. Have the EU to thank for getting paid to take old vegetable oil, pig breeders used to collect it free of charge, but waste oil was outlawed by the EU from being put in animal swill/feeds, and it has to be disposed of in an approved/costly way.

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
Round here most oil suppliers to chippies take the old stuff back and sell it tomajour bio manufacturers for a profit so we were paying 85p ish a litre for used oil full of rubbish which meant we were at break even point with pump derv but spending time doing it

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »
Not much progress this week as still waiting on the painter to do the frame and all metal black parts.

Had I little time so, stripped the speedo drive down and rebuild. If no one have ever seen one of these apart before and how many parts to it but, only one part number.

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2019, 10:52:28 AM »
Thanks for this picture, last time I had it in my hands I wanted to disassemble it, but was afraid to damage something - what's to proper way to do it? Can yoi share your know how? ;)
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2019, 11:26:20 AM »
Remove the seal, it should be reusable unless it is cracked or damaged.
Clean as much of the old grease out so, you can see what you are doing.
There is a wire circlip that needs to be removed and a shim washer under that. Once that is out you can remove the cog.
Take the grub screw out that holds the end cap on and push the end cap out using the drive. You will find a washer on each end of the drive. Inspect these are nice and smooth as, any catching can make the clock needle wave.
Clean up all the parts, re grease and assemble  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal