Author Topic: Fork caps?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Fork caps?
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »
A quick question, which occurred to me just now in the garage while looking at my CL450.

Both this bike and my previous CB750 had fork caps which are 'handed' - they aren't symmetrical, and there is a gap one one side which, if you have them on the right way round should be to the rear - why?

I'm guessing its so there is an element of 'pinch' against the front wheel spindle (you really don't want that to be a loose fit!) but why not have the same gap front and rear, why only at one side?

You can see the gap here on a page from a manual for another Honda altogether, top picture, ignore the arrow and question mark, I nicked the photo from another forum. There is a very subtle arrow to show which way round the cap goes. Easily missed, don't ask me how I know.  :-[

1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fork caps?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »
Go look at the bulletins in Ashs alladins cave,
1 there is an arrow on them that points forwar2 high end(front) tightened fist then rear

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
I always assumed the front was closed - bolted up tight to the fork bottom, making the rear one tightened as a pinch bolt (or nut if on a stud)

And the front one bolted up closed - to stop road crap filling the gap if it was the other way round.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »
Adding to the valid reasons given above,  if you just try to write an instruction to tighten one with equal gaps in its design you'll probably see why it's designed as it is.

"tighten one side without torque rating to reach prescribed gap,  tighten other side to torque reading listed,  look at gaps,  release or tighten second nut to equal gaps, recheck torque" ......... Well you can see the idea, as it potentially goes round in circles or introduces just more error opportunities  :)

Much easier to effectively put the instructions to a joint designed to be easy and more or less foolproof,  if you get the components in the correct place.

Offline oldboy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »
Thanks Mr Davo, just cracked my screen trying to kill that bug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal