Author Topic: Just had to share this 400/4 Collector box refurb  (Read 2601 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Just had to share this 400/4 Collector box refurb
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:55:35 PM »
I have a really good buddy Graham Curtis who is a bit of a CB72 C72 guru. He used to write articles for Classic Motorcycle Mechanics back in the day when it was still half-decent and it was his series of articles that were the basis of the yellow 400/4 that they featured as a  magazine restoration project. We regularly swap parts and not a penny has changed hands between us ... just great good old  fashioned helping mates out.

Him and his mate Les set themselves a challenge last year to fully restore a rather sad looking imported 400/4 which they bought off eBay ... the aim was to do as cheaply as they could but with the aim of producing a 1st class restoration and keeping it totally standard.

He challenged himself to restore a rotted out collector box for it  by pressing a repair panel and the photos below speak volumes about his skill and attention to detail. Prestige in Mexborough Yorkshire did the chroming.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:42:25 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Just had to share this 400/4 Collector box refurb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 12:19:51 AM »
This is the one that he restored for Motorcycle Mechanics back in 1994.... The lady on the photo sitting on the restored bike is Dinah May who was the model for the 400/4 etc. back in the day, when she did work  for Honda UK before she became Michael Winners long suffering PA.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
Absolutely brilliant, love this bit of craftsmanship. Good job!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
Not only a good  mechanic/engineer But looks to be a decent joiner/carpenter looking at that press???The finished article looks superb Pat on the back for that one !!

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
'collector box refurb' .... I was expecting a bit of brazing and a polish.

I wasn't expecting someone to home make a pattern and press his own sheet steel sufficiently well to need very little other fettling, and end up with a repair panel as good as ones I have paid hard cash for in the past. Nice chrome finish too at the end.

The guy could make a few ££££ selling those!

CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »
That is quality, truly amazing work ,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
'collector box refurb' .... I was expecting a bit of brazing and a polish.

I wasn't expecting someone to home make a pattern and press his own sheet steel sufficiently well to need very little other fettling, and end up with a repair panel as good as ones I have paid hard cash for in the past. Nice chrome finish too at the end.

The guy could make a few ££££ selling those!

I don't really think he is up to start making them ..he just can't stand to scrap or pay silly money for hard to find stuff. If anyone knows the Achilles Heel of the CB72/77 ...the flimsy kickstart cover which cracks and breaks, I have seen him take 3 totally trashed ones and make a perfect one from pieces from the three scrap ones. On the same bike he chops off the kickstart splined shaft from a CB250K shaft  and uses it to repair the rocking horse poo  extremely troublesome CB72 kickstart gear shaft. Awesome !

Offline Oggie400F

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »
Hi Ash
Do you think he would be willing to press a set up for me to do a restoration job on my collector box?
I'm a Radiographer............I can see right through you!!

1999 VFR800 fix in Pearl Prism Black
1978 CB750F1 in Candy Presto Red
1976 CB550F Supersport Brat Bike in Black
1976 CB400F in Varnish Blue - project bike in many bits.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 01:05:19 PM »
Hi Ash
Do you think he would be willing to press a set up for me to do a restoration job on my collector box?

Expect more requests like this one, I'd guess!

I wonder what that those dies are made of?  Pretty sturdy stuff, I suppose!

I'd love to see more photos of the process... did he cut the old bottom completely away and replace it with his part, or did he lay his part over the old?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
I suspect the tool will only be good for a low number of pressings and he seems to 'collect' collector boxes so will need for his own resto's  ... hence pretty much doubt he will be up for selling any but who knows... meeting up with him tomorrow morning at Newark autojumble (for our usual car boot swapping of parts for each other) so I will get more info and report back.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 08:16:22 PM »
Saw Graham today at Newark and he says he's happy to make and sell or trade repair panel. Says they will need trimming and a tricky job to weld /braze in but if anyone is interested PM me and I will put you in touch.

Henry Cole & Same Lovegrove had a stand at Newark today !
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:43:55 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »
Excellent work, I always admire folks who have such skill.
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 03:21:34 PM »
Great work and finish on the chrome.
Been using prestige for some years now not quick but always quality work.
P.S. dont argue with the lady (loosely called) on the counter as you will not win. :D :D ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »
That link didnt work for me Ash.. he may not share his BF pics publicly...
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal