Author Topic: Front brake  (Read 543 times)

Offline Moleskins

• View Profile
Front brake
« on: November 16, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »
Ok so I’ve got round to looking into why my CB550K0 1974 is a bit difficult to move.
Thinking it was just new pads or adjustments I’ve found it was neither.
The disc is just touching the fork leg.
There’s no guarantee it’s the right disc or that it’s on the right way round for the offset to work.
Any pictures, suggestions or advice appreciated.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Front brake
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
Do you have the spindle nut on the right way or is the spacer on the spindle correct ? Pictures would help.

Offline Moleskins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 07:21:32 PM »
According to my Haynes manual the spindle nut is on the left but mines on the right.
Thinking to myself ‘well that’s it’ I went out to the garage and spent an hour coming to the conclusion that it only went together with the nut on the right which is how I’ve inherited it.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 07:27:23 PM »
The nut is on the left and a clearance of 3mm between the disc to fork. You should have no off set on the rim to hub  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:30:16 PM by Trigger »

Offline Moleskins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:51:33 PM »
Thank you Trigger, on an *extremely* close inspection this morning I discovered that my spindle was in fact 2 pieces not one. Once I’d freed the collar off and re assembled everything with it at the correct end of the spindle, everything goes back together as it should, with a space between disc and fork leg.
The scary thing is, somebody has been riding the bike like it was, for long enough for that collar to be stuck firmly in place.
The Haynes manual shows a typical assembly, I initially assumed mine wasn’t typical.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal