Author Topic: Oh No! Another tyre thread.  (Read 911 times)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Oh No! Another tyre thread.
« on: November 08, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
Sorry folks, I know tyres are always a subjective issue on any bikes, but because of the wheel sizes (19" and 18") on our bikes, the choices of available rubber is limited and I would really appreciate your views on what suits a 550.  I did a search and the last thread in this section seems to have died out in 2010 so perhaps it is time for an update.

When I bought my bike last year it came with Mitas tyres.   Both are in good condition, but the profile of the rear one reminds me of the old Avon SM (ditch finder) tyres I had fitted to a Honda 90 in the early 70's.   They also seem to be made out of the hardest rubber I've ever encountered and don't inspire me with any kind of confidence when cornering,   :o so I'll be looking to fit some new ones come next Spring.

Avon do the Road rider in 19" front and 18" rear.  There seem to be a few deals on those on fleay at the mo, has anyone got experience with them?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:07:18 PM by cooleronthecoast »
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No! Another tyre thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:23:54 PM »
I used TT100's on my CB500, over some 14 years of ownership. To me, it always seemed to handle rather better than friends bikes with more modern type tyres fitted.

I have also used the same type of tyre on numerous other classics (CB750, Benelli 750/6 etc.) with equally good results.

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »
I have on my CB550K1 1975 Avon Roadriders. 3.25 front, 4.0 rear. I found them as very good tires, even when riding quite aggressive in the corners. No single slip. I can highly recommend them.
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
The best I have found on English shite tarmac is Continental K112 rear and RB2 front, classic look. Too expensive for my me, so I just use any old cheap things on my own bikes  ;) 

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 02:05:30 PM »
I have on my CB550K1 1975 Avon Roadriders. 3.25 front, 4.0 rear. I found them as very good tires, even when riding quite aggressive in the corners. No single slip. I can highly recommend them.
I agree. Avon's suit me.and my 500.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Oh No! Another tyre thread.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 04:52:34 PM »
This should read “Oh no! Another tyre tread”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
I have Avon Road Riders on my CB500 four. Never had an issue with them. I used to use them on my CX500 years ago. Used in all weathers and again, never had an issue with them.
Forgot to add, I fitted Avon RoadRiders to my Triumph Bonneville, T100, and no issues there either.
Oh, and my re entry acquired Yamaha Diversion, has a Road Rider on the front and it’s not that sure footed on white lines, all over the place. Not sure if it’s the tyre or the bike’s fault. A Yamaha forum that I’m on, their members, swear by Battlax for the Yamaha.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:50:02 PM by jon stead »
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:43:23 PM »
BT45’s for me, every time.

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 11:04:06 PM »
BT45s are good too, I run them on CB750K K7 w/o any problem
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
I have Avons on my CB750F good price  also fitted to my R80 and also have always fitted Avons to my Hardley.
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 09:24:43 AM »
Here's a question. After having had Conti's* for decades, I now have Bridgestones BT45 and sofar (!) they're the best tyres I ever had on my bike. Now Bridgestone and Continental both prescribe relatively high tyre pressures compared to the pressures we find in our Owner's Manual for the then original tyres. Not until recently I have learned that Metzelers have a lower advised tyre pressure than Continental and the BT45s. Now the CB500 is not particularly known for its comfort; to today's standards, it is quite a spartan ride. Could it be that the Metzelers with their lower tyre pressure, would therefore have been a better choice for someone who wants comfort or am I fooling my self here and do other factors like rubber compound play a dominant role?
* Several K112 rear and RB2 front and later TK44 and TK22.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:52:07 AM »
I run 28psi for the 3.25 front. And
33psi for 4.00 rear.

Gives comfort and good handling

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
I run practically the same pressure as you, front even bit lower, but have still terrible issues on the front - bouncing, especially in speeds around 40mph still. I'll rebuild again front fork and will check both wheels too (truing). There is something wrong...
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
Here's a question. After having had Conti's* for decades, I now have Bridgestones BT45 and sofar (!) they're the best tyres I ever had on my bike. Now Bridgestone and Continental both prescribe relatively high tyre pressures compared to the pressures we find in our Owner's Manual for the then original tyres. Not until recently I have learned that Metzelers have a lower advised tyre pressure than Continental and the BT45s. Now the CB500 is not particularly known for its comfort; to today's standards, it is quite a spartan ride. Could it be that the Metzelers with their lower tyre pressure, would therefore have been a better choice for someone who wants comfort or am I fooling my self here and do other factors like rubber compound play a dominant role?
* Several K112 rear and RB2 front and later TK44 and TK22.

You can get a reality check of pressures with current tyres by working back through its load calculations.  On the sidewall is usually "maximum load expressed against psi" which if you make a calculation of how much each psi will support then compare this to factual loading for your bike plus rider, will allow you a start point psi reading for your circumstances with those tyres.  this will give the recommended psi from the tyre manufacturer to safely carry the loading you've got,  in other words,  it should give the correct amount of carcass flex for normal operation that won't detrimentally overheat the tyre with excess flexing. More load (pillion passenger)  will require more pressure to achieve the same balance.

It may be that current tyres have a higher load index ( that figure on spec of something like 59 V) in which the number is load capacity and letter is constant speed rating, than originally used for those bikes.  In which case the higher load rated tyre could safely be used at a lower pressure.

Another influence if you use a larger tyre carcass than originally fitted,  greater airmass will support more weight,  so again lower pressure may be appropriate.

Try working the numbers through that you have on tyres and bike spec+plus rider and see what you get. It'll at least give data for discussion here.

Also,  the damping oil (forks)  affects how the tyre "pings" resonanice into the bike's mass.  Too higher viscosity,  and it'll rather deflect the mass when hitting a bump than accept it with fork travel as it should.  Trimming oil viscosity may give a better match to the tyre deflection and improve your bike on the surfaces you experience problems with. Quite often that is those transverse ribs in some road surfaces that keep thumping up through the handlebars.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal