Author Topic: Fork seal holders  (Read 919 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Fork seal holders
« on: November 23, 2019, 04:16:04 PM »
Any idea how to remove the Bomber fork seal holders without the correct tool which I'm assuming is a hook spanner. They are very tightly stuck but been soaking in PlusGas for two days. Or any idea where I could buy or borrow the correct tool. Cheers.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:17:54 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Fork seal holders
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:37:37 PM »
Mine were loose Roy,  as they had been previously removed. Evidently,  the proper Honda tool is not brilliant as it only has two pegs not four. My CB72 ones were similar but steel retainers on steel legs and I gave up on removing them as they wouldn't budge and so I gave them to my mate Graham Curtis to do,  as he has made his own four peg tool .. he said he had to use lots of heat to get them to budge. The Bomber ones are steel seal holder retainers on alloy fork bottoms (as are the post 1967 CB72/77's).

Somewhere,  I have a picture of Graham's tool that he made. I will dig it out and post a picture.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:01:24 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »
Graham's tool  ;D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
Try as I might these seal holders are not budging. They have been soaked in PlusGas for a week and I have heated one until it was on fire and still the sod wont come undone. I haven't missed anything obvious like a left hand thread or anything silly have I. Any ideas to shift them or anybody know where or who I can send them to, to get them removed. Cheers.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
Hello Roy.
Do my eyes deceive me. Or are they tapered?
Do the actually hold the seals? Or are they just a sleeve?

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
They are in fact tapered and do hold the seals. They are available from CMS for 375 euros each. I am at the moment making a tool similar to the picture of Triggers so am hoping that will have more success,
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
Yea bloody expensive. Is Triggers tool like the one I posted that Graham Curtis made. One good thing is that they are made of steel so rechromable . My S90 ones are chromed monkey metal and very hard to rechrome.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
Yea bloody expensive. Is Triggers tool like the one I posted that Graham Curtis made. One good thing is that they are made of steel so rechromable . My S90 ones are chromed monkey metal and very hard to rechrome.
Sorry when you said Graham I thought you meant Trigger. I am making a tool similar to that but had to get the disc turned by a machinist as I no longer have access to a lathe. It's going to be a bit pricey for a one use tool but don't see an option really. Cant even guarantee that will shift them though.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:13:19 PM »
Sorry when you said Graham I thought you meant Trigger. I am making a tool similar to that but had to get the disc turned by a machinist as I no longer have access to a lathe. It's going to be a bit pricey for a one use tool but don't see an option really. Cant even guarantee that will shift them though.
  Think it should shift with that style of tool and plenty of heat applied !!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal