Author Topic: Any Triumph love out there?  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Any Triumph love out there?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:08 PM »
As far as bikes are concerned i had for a short time a 1967 ex police 650 Saint. I think i had it 3 weeks and got rid of it. It was so unreliable and it was needed to get to work and went back to the trusty CD175.

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 04:30:59 PM »
I've never had a modern Triumph, but I did have a Triton once with a genuine Manx Norton frame and Dunstall twin disc front end. Engine started out as a bog standard pre-unit 650, then metamorphosed into a 700 with the aid of a Norton crank. Then replaced it with a unit 650 with a Weslake top end, again with a Norton crank. Somewhat unreliable to say the least. I could never guarantee returning home with a full compliment of nuts and bolts as something always seemed to fall off. To be fair it did handle well. Eventually it threw a rod and I sold the remains. 
My second Triumph did have a bit more get up and go! Loads of fun, but keeping it in one piece was a challenge.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:56:51 AM by H2Eric »

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »
Never owned a Hinckley Triumph although test rode a Thruxton and Boneville in 2004,I liked the Thruxton but bought a Suzuki SV1000😁 I have had a few “proper “ Meriden Triumphs in past and still love the look of them,the Hurricane being top of my bike wish list😎
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
I bought a new ST1050 in 2007 to replace my VFR800. It had a fantastic engine, lots of torque and the noise was something else. What I didn't like was the overall finish, wafer thin paint on the wheels most of which fell off at the first tyre change! The fairing panels were so thin they were a royal pain to put back on as the heat of the engine seemed to have warped them in situ! The engine was not lacquered where it couldn't be seen from a distance and went white a powder like within a month, the front 'stainless' discs went rusty even though the bike was kept in a dry garage and wasn't used in bad weather. The worst thing was the seat, two stupid self tappers tucked under the overhanging seat foam at the back that were impossible to put back without tearing the seat cover. I kept the bike for 8 years and was offered peanuts as a trade in for a new bike! I swapped it privately for a 2005 blackbird (+£500) from a mate. The Blackbird was far superior in every way apart from the exhaust note. When the Blackbird became too much in terms of weight, speed and high insurance I bought a 1999 VFR800 for £1900 that was like new despite being 19 years old.
The poor finish, high purchase price and residual value have put me off buying another Triumph for the foreseeable future. I've got a Triton though currently undergoing a cosmetic refurb👍.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
I have a '66 500 Triumph that I love, and a '98 Speed Triple T509, its a turd, currently not sparking so not in use, when I get time I'll go through everything electrical (replace at great expense ££££££).

My brother bought a new 1050 Speed triple, he had to relocate his tools so he could fit an extra battery in the tool box coz he got sick of coming home on the back of a recovery truck when it wouldn't start.

When my Speed Triple stopped sparking I had to remove bodywork to get to the plugs, started at the back light and worked my way forward, after half a day I reached the plug caps ::)

Would I have another modern Triumph? Nope! But I 'spose a lot of modern bikes are the same.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 08:13:40 AM »
Never owned one and never will. Just can't get me head around how bad the engineering is  :o

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 08:30:07 AM »
Never owned one and never will. Just can't get me head around how bad the engineering is  :o
It's not bad engineering, it's just challenging which is half the fun of owning an old Brit bike. The Alloy is better than Japanese Alloy 😋😋😋
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »
Had a 3ta in my youth and did a 30 mile a day comute for over a year. Some problems, but it was a 13 year old bike then, so to be expected. On the whole, pretty reliable.
Also had an 03 955 speed triple. Loved it, terrific sound with a carbon Triumph can and a decent remap. Smooth as silk all through the rev range.
Restored a 71 oil tank Bonny, that was very nice as well.
They were products of their time, mainly used as transport as cars were too expensive and maintenance skills varied somewhat

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
Tomb, I had exactly the same problems as your brother with my 1050! Three times it did that to me, twice when I had stopped for fuel, came back to the bike and it was absolutely dead. Three batteries in eight years was the result (and it was kept on an optimate!).
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »

Don't confuse the modern Triumphs from Hinkley with the old pushrod stuff from Meriden. They have the same maker's name but no real connection as far as engineering goes. Modern sohc engines that are just as good as any Japanese engine, if not better.
Stands back and waits for the flack.........
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »
Tomb, I had exactly the same problems as your brother with my 1050! Three times it did that to me, twice when I had stopped for fuel, came back to the bike and it was absolutely dead. Three batteries in eight years was the result (and it was kept on an optimate!).

A mate has one with the same sort of  problem calls for fuel and doesn't know if it will start. It sounds like locks up.  Sits down for 10 mins and then it starts straight up. Always starts from cold. He is currently changing the starter.

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »

Don't confuse the modern Triumphs from Hinkley with the old pushrod stuff from Meriden. They have the same maker's name but no real connection as far as engineering goes. Modern sohc engines that are just as good as any Japanese engine, if not better.

No flack from me, but the modern Bonnies and the Thruxton are DOHC motors.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »

Yeah, I typed dohc and being on a sohc forum the predictive text bloody changed it without me noticing! 😂
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 08:12:32 PM »
I will stick up for Hinkley Triumphs.Kind of. All the T300 range are excellent and built to last but a bit top heavy. My dads 92 Trophy 1200 was almost at 90000miles and still going well. It still touched 150mph on private roads of course. The only bike I know of that wore out 2 front tyres to 1 rear. My speed4 was highley underated as it was based on the old TT600 and that would run really lumpy at low speed.
The S4 had loads of silly issues that got me down in the end. Swarf in the headrace bearings from new and leaked oil and water like an old Meridian Triumph, wiring harness rubed on the mono shock and it would also kill batteries until I realised the factory fitted alarm was the culprit. It turned out the alarm was what was causing the non start issue on petrol station forcourts as the electric doors would interfere with it  ???
My dad replaced his with an Kawasaki ER6F nice budget bike with plenty of poke when you wind it up but the plastics are complete crap

I can't bring myself to buy another Triumph as I don't like the snobby dealers. I wanted a rocker cover gasket for my S4 and as I was passing a deilership poped in to order one. The first thing they asked was weather I bought the bike from them and when I said no they had no interest in selling me one. My dad had the same experiance when he ordered a side stand spring.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 08:13:20 PM »

Yeah, I typed dohc and being on a sohc forum the predictive text bloody changed it without me noticing! 😂

Ha ha I'll let you off then    ;D
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal