Author Topic: CB750 K2 bottom yoke - I don't think mine's standard . . .  (Read 748 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
CB750 K2 bottom yoke - I don't think mine's standard . . .
« on: November 28, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »

How do all.

I have a somewhat peculiar question - were there any 750 models with lower yokes that came with steering locks that differ from the standard Honda removable lock barrel set-ups?  I have a feeling I already know the answer, but . . .

. . . here's why.  My bike was a mongrel before I got it.  Whilst it hadn't been cut up, it had been <ahem> transformed into a very scruffy cafe racer.  Fortunately, nothing that was done to it couldn't be undone and over time I've returned it to pretty much what it should look like.  The forks and yokes are the ones that came with the bike and as far as I know, the top yoke is from a K2. 

The bike came with an ignition key and a seat key, but something I never really paid a lot of attention to was the steering lock, principally because it looks like it takes a much smaller key than the others, and that key was/is missing.  But now I think about it, nothing about the lock is the same as the Honda style; the keyhole is very much smaller than standard, the barrel is (so far as I can tell) fixed into the mount, the mount itself is oval when viewed from head on (as opposed to round) and the lock cover/flap is directly attached to the lock mount   

And that has led me to the conclusion that the lower yoke probably isn't from a K2, or maybe even from a Honda at all.  Annoyingly it's too dark and miserable - not to mention too strange an angle - to photograph right now, so rather than ask anyone to speculate on whether it's from another make altogether, I'll just repeat the question were there any 750 models with lower yokes that came with steering locks that differ from the standard Honda removable lock barrel set-ups? 

It's all a bit strange.  I'll try to get pictures up as soon as I can. 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 K2 bottom yoke - I don't think mine's standard . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

K2

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:24:24 PM by Trigger »

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »

Oh wow - thanks - that's really helpful.   

Yeah - mine's one of the late versions; the keyhole looks right and so does the cover plate.  I've never seen what it looks like out of the housing.

So that raises another question . . . given that it's not a standard size/shape - and short of taking the bike to a locksmith - is there any way of finding what key will fit?  The front section is so small I can't see any stamps on it (unlike the earlier versions where the key number is usually legible).

Thanks again.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
Remover the rivet and the lock should fall out. You can get a new lock as, these were used on a lot of Honda's  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 07:46:32 AM »
K2 top yoke

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 12:59:58 PM »

Can't find a thumbs up emoji . . .

Thanks again.  Yip, that's what mine looks like.

On the subject of rivets, am I right in thinking I should be looking for drill screws to replace that kind of rivet with?  I've got a similar issue with the VIN plates, insofar as I'm not sure what type of rivet to use to replace the ones that have been drilled out (for frame powdercoating).  And any pointers on sources would be really helpful 'cos I can't find any that can be easily had in the UK.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »

Can't find a thumbs up emoji . . .

Thanks again.  Yip, that's what mine looks like.

On the subject of rivets, am I right in thinking I should be looking for drill screws to replace that kind of rivet with?  I've got a similar issue with the VIN plates, insofar as I'm not sure what type of rivet to use to replace the ones that have been drilled out (for frame powdercoating).  And any pointers on sources would be really helpful 'cos I can't find any that can be easily had in the UK.

The rivet on the lock cap can be pulled out very carefully and reused
The rivets on the VIN plate are part number 90841001000  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal