Author Topic: London Bridge  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
London Bridge
« on: December 01, 2019, 09:20:06 PM »
This last week was my other half's 60th. So we decided to have a few days in London as it is somewhere we have never been. Guess where we happened to be at 2pm on Friday. That's right walking on London Bridge when all that shit unfolded. Now that's one birthday she will never forget. Neither will I as I ended up having to run, as she was off like a scalded cock not giving a chuff about me and even faster when the gunshots started The area  put on immediate lock down for 2hrs and nobody allowed to leave or move. Scary shit. My heart goes out to all the victims . Its nothing we want to repeat and just shows how life can change in the blink of a eye.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: London Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:26:57 PM »
Your better off staying wear you are Moorey .
Its a much nicer part of the country
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 09:40:47 PM »
It could be a while before we are back. So many people all the time.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
How sad for everyone involved, including you and your wife Chris.How very scary 😢😢😢
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
You had a lucky escape Moorey. I hope your o/h got over the shock on what should have been a great day out.
I was at London Bridge twice last week, every time I go there I think about what happened two years ago and it sends a shiver. Who would have guessed a similar incident would happen again in the same place?
I know this isn't a political forum but my heart sank on Saturday on hearing how Labour and Conservative politicians were using the events of Friday to point score against each other. To think these are the scumbags we elect to look after our county and security, they should be ashamed about trying to gain political advantage on the back of brave and innocent victims deaths.
I heard on the radio this morning about the Polish guy who fought the attacker with a whale bone. He ended up getting stabbed five times. Normal men and women are incredibly brave, politicians are lower than a snake's belly after last weekend.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
Yes she was shaken up for the rest of the day, but we went back the next day to go up the Shard which is why we were in that area in the first place. At 6pm on Sat all the vehicles were still on the bridge some with their hazard lights still flashing. 12 of us were lucky to be given shelter for 2hrs in a bicycle shop just off the bridge until the police allowed us out of the area.
Some days are certainly better than others.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 01:59:22 PM »
Trying to lighten the mood in the bicycle shop workshop. I told her to get some wheels built for the lads there but she wouldn’t have it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:03:21 PM by Moorey »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
Wow, thank god you're both OK. You simply can't legislate for idiots like that sadly; I walked past the same spot on London bridge only last week and it certainly makes you think how lucky/vulnerable we are at times. Just stay focused on the positive/good things in life and hope you have a fantastic and enjoyable lead up to Christmas and beyond.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
I was there Saturday afternoon too. I was my daughter’s 30th and we all met up at the Mulberry Bush pub on the South Bank.

We walked down to Tower Bridge as my wife wanted to check out the 12 Santas.

Only got to 11 of them though as the 12th was behind the police tape by London Bridge.

Even though the pub was full of my daughter’s work colleagues (all Met Police officers) we thought better of pulling rank…

Tonight she’s on search and crowd control for the visit of an American (who’s name the auto censor will remove )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
I have also had a few 'near misses' or 'near hits' as London Underground insisted on labelling them - as it increases people's awareness of what might have happened - as I worked and commuted in and out of London for 22 years. I couldn't win a Fiver from a Bookie, but I seem to have had a charmed life with having just left the place where a bomb or a Train/ Tube Crash happened just a bit later.

It's a terrible thing when young people who have everything to look forward to in life have it so cruelly cut short so brutally.....most of us on this great Forum have Kids and Grandkids so we all know just how precious they are - not just to us and our families and friends, but to our Society, our great country and the whole World.

I won't say anything derogatory about politicians......most of them are just 100% tossers, but if more of us made personal appointments at their Constituency Clinics that they hold each month, and put them on the spot about grave issues such as terrorism, then they might just start to do something about it. I learned in my Job that when a person makes you a promise to do something better or to make a difference and you shake hands on it - it is very difficult for them to look you in the eye six months later - unless they have actually done something positive about the problem........and when they are seeking re-election you can either say "Yes I'm voting for you" - or "You won't be getting my vote because I can't trust you".  Personally I would be very happy to see the reinstatement of the Death Penalty for certain crimes, especially where the perpetrators are unlikely to ever be rehabilitated.  But enough of that....I'll end with a bit of humour which Moorey might like: A Ground Crew were winching a large Bomb up into the Bomb Bay of a Lancaster Bomber when the winch failed and the Bomb crashed to the ground. Everybody scattered (some as fast as Moorey's Missus - no doubt) but two blokes jumped into a Jeep and sped off down the runway - only to be overtaken by a bloke on a pushbike !!!!! (True story from The Dambusters by Paul Brickhill).
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 07:42:24 PM »
My trouble is i run about as good, as a three cornered cupboard. Back home now anyway looking forward to our next visit. Unfinished things to do.  ;)

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
Scary stuff...thank god you and your missus had a fortunate escape. I wonder how many people will be put off an xmas shopping trip to the capital these days..plenty i bet. What a great shame when your safety is in doubt in this country...

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
It was all IRA when I was dispatching.   Now those lads knew how to make bangs.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
And I missed the Titanic voyage by 72 years
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 11:08:14 AM »
I was 2 mins out from the Manchester Arndale centre when the IRA blew it up, thank god I stopped for a cup of tea from the vending machine at the depot.

I missed the Herald of Free Enterprise by 30 mins as well when it went over in Zeebruge, sometimes I think god likes me  :) :)
I nearly met my maker on 13th August 1994 as an 18-year-old student. I was working on the Palace Pier in Brighton, and the IRA planted a bomb on a bicycle strapped to the railings on the promenade directly outside the entrance to the pier. We evacuated the pier as instructed by the managers and our emergency meeting point was directly next to where the bomb was planted. I remember looking at the bike at the time and not really giving it a second thought - we were literally standing 3-4 meters away from it. Luckily the timing device in the bomb was faulty and the bomb didn't go off - the 5lb of SEMTEX in bike panniers probably would have shredded the lot of us. A very lucky escape.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal