Author Topic: Pannier/Top Box Rack  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Pannier/Top Box Rack
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 10:13:05 PM »
I always use soft luggage on the 750 AND 550 they have always worked for me.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Pannier/Top Box Rack
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 07:58:15 AM »
On long holiday trips I've always used the very thick leather sidebags a friend had given me in 1980. They are of behind the iron curtain origin (like his Jawa was) and they have always served me well. The leather has become very hard now and they are far from waterproof. Even now I can still use them as I pack my gear in plastic (transparent) bags first. I avoid to ride in rain though: gentlemen don't ride in rain. The way I used to pack my iron horse resulted in a rock solid handling. The rack is a perfect fit. I dont know the brand but I remember it was marketed for CB500-550-750s back then. I believe it was German. You could also buy hard shell cases with them, but I did not. When my bike falls over - and this has happened quite some times - there's no damage, when a friends CB550 fell over his hardshell case leaked ever since. Also I remember a test in those days in a motor mag: none of the hard shell cases tested proved to be 100% waterproof. Also in countries like Greece and Turkey, they can repair a leather bag when needed just about anywhere. Hard shell cases can get damaged beyond repair. The advertised advantage of a click on - click off system, I find futile. I just open the lid of the leather bags and pull out the two or three plastic bags. No big deal. As for theft, I always parked my bike like near a terrace with lots of people. On all my trips, nothing got stolen ever.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal