Author Topic: Busted Kickstart Knuckle  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Busted Kickstart Knuckle
« on: December 10, 2019, 09:59:35 AM »
Dang. I knew straight away without looking what I had done... The knuckle joint has split open and (besides being pretty furious with myself for my lack of mechanical sympathy) I'm looking for a replacement.

I know the cb350f and cb400f use the same part number, so I'm hopeful I will find one eventually. Anyone on here got one they would like to part with?

Offline blackeagles

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Busted Kickstart Knuckle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
that's a real drag, you could always get a complete one with a good knuckle - tend to be in the usa although there are a few breakers like 400fourbits who may have one laying about.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
I seem to remember Bikepusher had a complete assembly for sale a couple of months ago, maybe worth trying, look him up on ebay...... It won't be cheap though!!!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »
I seem to remember Bikepusher had a complete assembly for sale a couple of months ago, maybe worth trying, look him up on ebay...... It won't be cheap though!!!
He sold a rechromed knuckle and arm only, for £50 quid last week. Nearly bid myself as a spare.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 01:59:07 PM »
Perfect timing then!  ;D

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 06:41:08 AM »
Yep the 350 fourfits . I bought one last year and it works fine . I also bought a set of clocks of 350 four with only 50 miles on them .The Red line starts a bit early but I can live with that !

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
Since the 400 kickstart knuckles are getting harder to find and more expensive has anyone tried to repair a cracked or broken one?
There is a definite design fault on the knuckle, there is just not enough metal outside of the kickstart pivot hole. I guess with metal fatigue they will all fail eventually, if used.
If not concerned with absolute originality would it be possible to take off the chrome and weld a circular plate onto the outer face of the knuckle. This would beef up the area that breaks and spread the load over a wider area. When re-chromed it wouldn't appear much different to standard.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »
Since the 400 kickstart knuckles are getting harder to find and more expensive has anyone tried to repair a cracked or broken one?
There is a definite design fault on the knuckle, there is just not enough metal outside of the kickstart pivot hole. I guess with metal fatigue they will all fail eventually, if used.
If not concerned with absolute originality would it be possible to take off the chrome and weld a circular plate onto the outer face of the knuckle. This would beef up the area that breaks and spread the load over a wider area. When re-chromed it wouldn't appear much different to standard.
Wonder if I could get it done under warranty? ;)
Serious answer though, I completely agree. If a plate was welded over the open end you wouldn't need the cap either...

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
This is all very intreaguing 🤔🤔🤔 Out of interest, how often do owners use the kick start on their bike? In 5 years, I have used it once due to a flat battery, started 1st kick, and again after the engine rebuild to get oil around the engine and. build up a bit of pressure before pushing the electric start button.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »
This is all very intreaguing 🤔🤔🤔 Out of interest, how often do owners use the kick start on their bike? In 5 years, I have used it once due to a flat battery, started 1st kick, and again after the engine rebuild to get oil around the engine and. build up a bit of pressure before pushing the electric start button.

I've never used mine to start the engine, just to prime the oil round the engine after rebuild like you. But, if I need to use it for real I don't want it to break!
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 01:43:19 PM »

I've never used mine to start the engine, just to prime the oil round the engine after rebuild like you. But, if I need to use it for real I don't want it to break!
Haha, agree totally. I'm one of these people who has never, ever mastered the art of bump starting a bike (Unless I'm sitting on it already with someone pushing me, I can do it then) but not if I have to push it to get up speed and then get on the bike whilst it's moving. If the lever broke when I needed to use it and I was out on my own I would have to abandon the bike and walk home 🙄🙄🙄
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
I've a Triumph speed triple with a dodgy starter sprag clutch,  often had to bump start it.

Usually it would try on starter but not spin fast enough,  at which point you'd have to run and jump.  Did it inside the Isle of Wight ferry once,  accompanied by the most enormous Kaaaaaboooom backfire  :-[ and scared the shiiite out of everyone in there  ;D

Also outside Chelsea barracks too,  car alarms set off  :-[ and "security" came running out primed for action  :o

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 08:02:10 PM »
Only ever used the kickstart on mine when I had a duff battery, never used it routinely ever.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
Never used mine if they don't start on the button there is something wrong. Having said that looking at the state of the footrest damage in it's past life it's been kicked to death for some reason.

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
I only used it a couple times, once to prime the oil pump before it's first start and then before starting after I'd done the clutch. Maybe one real time too, just so I knew I could!. Then after this oil change, again to prime. Dang!

But bump starting is a second nature to me, have a 2T 250 that has electric start, but the battery is frequently not up to the job. If I was caught in a pinch I'm pretty sure I'd be fine without a kickstart.

Anyhow, I have a 350f one on the way from Germany so if my calculations are correct someone is about to 'find' one and suggest a paltry sum for it on here.... ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal