Author Topic: Honda XL350 K0 - spoke nipple sizes  (Read 850 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Honda XL350 K0 - spoke nipple sizes
« on: December 11, 2019, 05:10:01 PM »
How do

Looking for a little help/advice. I'll apologise now for my ignorance of the subject matter  ::)

I've sent a set of spokes for an XL350 to a spoke manufacturer to get stainless copies made. Replicating the spokes is no problem, but I've also asked them to supply nipples, and they've come back with the question what size do you need? I have no idea 'cos I didn't realise that was a thing.

I'm told they have four variations - 225/250/275/300 - which is an imperial (or American, depending) measurement . . . as a metric person I don't really understand what that means. They've also tried to tell me how to measure them, and it's something to do with the sloping section under the head, but again, I'm struggling to understand exactly where/how. The only way I can visualise what they were describing was the distance from the seam of the head to the point where it turns into square section . . .

I've had a look I can't find any good guides online or numbers that I can give the manufacturer and sound like I know what I'm talking about.  I could send them samples, but before I do that, has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should be asking for or any hints on how to measure the ones I took off the bike?

If you've made it this far, well done . . . and thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Honda XL350 K0 - spoke nipple sizes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 12:49:45 AM »
Send them and old nipple and say you need the same!

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Honda XL350 K0 - spoke nipple sizes
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
Thanks Bryan

Turns out the measurement I was looking for is the diameter of the tubular section of the nipple that's the transition from immediately below the cap down to the squared/flat section(s).

Mine measured out at around 7mm, which translates to 0.275in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal