Author Topic: Removal of 1970 - 1971 Steering Locks  (Read 866 times)

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Removal of 1970 - 1971 Steering Locks
« on: December 14, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
In the continuing saga of my top yoke, I've received the set that I ordered on e-bay from the USA. I've checked it over and it seems to be okay but I may need to paint it, in which case the bottom yoke gets painted with it. The seller said that the yokes came from a K1 and mine is a March 1970, so I was surprised when I took the plastic cap off the steering lock to find that this one has a steel collar/sleeve, which my other (earlier?) lock does not. Here's the rub. I cannot get either lock out of the yoke. There must be a way, as Honda don't employ magicians to put them in. The original clearly has a pin, which defies all efforts to remove it. Does anyone know a 'trick'? The 'new' one doesn't seem to have anything that I can see to remove. The pictures will hopefully explain it better than I can.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Removal of 1970 - 1971 Steering Locks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »
Put key in, turn and pull assembly out is all i ever do. If you have no key you have to drill the lock out

Offline StevieWonder

• SOHC Associate
  • Oh, fast and shinny. Me like fast and shinny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
Glad you have raised the subject as I too have a steering lock that the replacement ignition key doesn't fit. Not sure, but I understand from other posts on here that the lock can be removed if you have the key and keys can be ordered against the number stamped on the lock. Trouble is, you can't read the lock number without a key. Hence, others have drilled the lock out and ordered a new lock and key. You may also be able to find matching steering lock and ignition lock (same key operation). Difficult to see how a lock can be drilled out with any finess (given both its awkward location - not a problem for you - and that you are not drilling a solid piece, but a group of loosely assembled parts). Hopefully others can provide details and experienced advice.
Previous Bikes:
Honda S90
Honda CB125 Twin
Triumph T90
Honda XL250
Bombardier Can-Am 250
Honda CBX750

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »
You just drill down through the key hole, gradually increasing the drill bit size and the inner workings collapse in on themselves and the whole thing just pulls out. OK, the barrel is then totally knackered and you have to buy a new barrel and key but at least the problem is sorted.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:06:21 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »
In the second picture, you can see the lock and the yoke mount it's in are different colour metals.  What you need to do is get the lock to turn so the little retaining pin lines up between the two mount sections and the whole barrel will pull out.  If you can read the lock number, your best bet is to find a key, otherwise you'll need to drill in from the front (i.e. through the key slot) and then turn the barrel once the lock mechanism inside is busted.  The same method applies to the other set up, but since it's enclosed it's much harder to see.

Take a look at the images in this post and you'll see a variation on the barrel on the lower lock - the only real difference is that the rectangular section is larger on the CA77 one.  The instructions I wrote in that post about how the lock is removed also apply to the 750 locks.

I've managed to remove a couple of locks without doing either - trust me, it was more luck than judgement and not something I'd recommend.  It only works with the lock mount shown in the first couple of photos (where the lock isn't entirely enclosed.  Basically the method I used involved sticking a screwdriver behind the frame section you can see in your second photo.  Look at the lock end, and you'll see one 'leg' longer than the other . . . I got the shorter leg to bend out just enough for the pin to pass by it by belting it the right way and then knocked it back into place once the lock was out.  But I've since found it's a high risk strategy and should be avoided if you don't want to risk snapping the mount.   

In the last of your images, you can read the lock number - looks to me like it's T3879.  If you haven't already, order one off eBay and while you're waiting for it to arrive, fill the lock with WD40 or some other penetrant - chances are it's frozen in place.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:11:22 PM by the-chauffeur »

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »
Dear each, thanks for all your replies. Both of these locks have the key number on the face of the lock but I don't have keys with the same numbers. I have a very worn Honda key, so I'll have a bash at 'jiggling' the locks. If not, does anyone know of a key supplier? I did try a bloke in the USA some time ago but he wasn't accustomed to posting overseas and wanted me to send cash through PayPal.  I tried but PayPal wouldn't allow and international transfer. I'm going into the garage later, so I'll post it if I'm successful.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »
Here you go, I got a complete NOS set for my K1 from this guy in October, takes PayPal and quick delivery too - just put your key number in his Shop search: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-NOS-HONDA-RECESSED-IGNITION-PRECUT-PLUG-KEY-T3879-K0-SANDCAST-CB750-7182/352753467410?hash=item5221bec012:g:S4UAAOSwtEVdUxMn
1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 03:40:22 PM »
Depends on how "original" you want to be . . . 

T3879B - David Silvers have them in stock for £9 or so.  They've got the normal shape as well, but AFAIK you need the B key (or one of the more expensive versions in the previous post) for the steering lock because it's cut in such a way as to allow the barrel to be pushed in.  The teeth on both are identical, but the B has a longer neck.

Silvers stock quite a few different keys; they're just not very well advertised on the site.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:48:04 PM by the-chauffeur »

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
Andrew - S: Thanks for the tip, I've saved the link in case I need it. The import duty is more than the product! That needs to be checked but it may be a simple case of, they've got it and I want it.

the-chauffeur: Well done. I've got one out.  Not the one that I wanted but it may still come good for me. I did as you said and put the worn key in the 'sleeved' lock, expecting a long fight and it turned straight away and out popped the lock. I can't get the spring out, so that can stay put but the lock is out. I can't even get the key into the other lock. It will go in about 1/4" and then jams. I suspected a broken key but a good look shows a clear passage, so something has stuck. It's now sitting in the garage, bathing in WD40 but I have no great expectation of success, so I may have to take Julie's advice and drill this one. Something that I've never had much success with. 

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 06:29:55 PM »

Cool.  Good work.

Don't be too hasty with the second one.  Honda used a variety of different key blanks, so only certain keys will fit certain locks.  If you can't get your key in, it's almost most likely to be because the spine of the key has a different slotting along its length.

Since the tooth pattern isn't all that complicated, you probably found a magic pairing with your old key and the enclosed lock.  I've got around 10 different keys across different models and the number of locks they fit into varies, but no one key fits every lock.

And if you get the lock out intact, you can always sell it - there's usually someone looking for a steering lock barrel to match their ignition/seat set, especially if you can read the numbers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal