Author Topic: Restoration or renovation?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration or renovation?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
I found following original factory specifications helped with reliability and ease of parts replacement, so often aftermarket bits caused me issues in the long run, however there are always exceptions to the rule. Exhausts on a sohc bike invariably rot, pattern ones last longer. I quite like k&n single filter that replaces the Honda airbox buy retains the phlenem chamber on the 500.  I never got on with the individual pods on Honda 4s though they were good on the BMW twins. My bikes when on the road are going to get used in bad weather so patina is fine by me and rebuilds are part of maintenance, periodically a frame needs repainting and its sensible to bung underseal on mudguards undersides - I use bitumen paint as it can be removed even if it is not long lasting. Rotten mudguards getting replaced is another bit of what I think of normal maintenance. I fit reasonably sound used stuff off Ebay, plenty of people replace brightwork that's actually got loads of lite left because of small dents. Those do not bother me. The result is a bike that I think of as mostly original even if purists would find faults. Doesnt bother me, if something seems better modified I do a modification, if it's not improved I reverse it. For my own bikes or landrover I try to make any modifications reversible - a 550 engine being swapped for a cb500 mill is reversible in a day
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal