Author Topic: Textile Jacket/trousers  (Read 423 times)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Textile Jacket/trousers
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:09:31 PM »
I'm in the market for some new riding gear.  My trusty old Dainese textile Jacket has been a loyal servant over the past dozen or so years, but its time to accept I need to be opening my wallet if I want to keep warm and dry this coming riding season.    The trouble is there is such vast array of stuff out there now, gone are the days when you just opted for either a Belstaff or Barbour jacket, although having said that I see both those brands are still alive and kicking. 

So the remit is:   
100% waterproof,
Stylish (if possible), I don't want to look like an inverted traffic cone thanks, but all black is a little foolish these days with all the myopic Honda Jazz drivers out there (other old bas***ds in other shitty little cars are available). 
Plenty of pockets and vents for those hot days when you really should have put the leather jacket on, but it looked like it might piss down when you set off from home.

I went to a dealership recently who sell Halvarssons gear.  Their stuff is not cheap, but fits well without being too heavy, which is obviously another consideration, i.e. weight.  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of their jackets and the matching trousers, but that will be saying bye bye to North of 500 quid and whatever I do end up buying I want it to last me a similar length of time to the aforementioned Dainese.

Thus I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have bought new riding gear in the last year or so.  Obviously what you've bought and how pleased (or not) you are with it.    Thanks
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Textile Jacket/trousers
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 02:07:07 PM »
I bought the Halverssons Prince/Prime suit in August 2017 and have been very pleased with it. I wear it most of the year and for all touring rides, though in summer I use a "porous" leather jacket and jeans instead, for riding the older bikes.

With the liner in the jacket (I have never used the one in the trousers) and just a tee - shirt underneath it is fine for me on days around the 7c mark (yesterday I rode the CB750 for 25 miles or so in these conditions) and on warmer days (12c upward) I simply remove the liner. It is then comfortable until temperatures pass the high 20's. It is fine for me to walk around in it at race meetings, though if it is too warm I simply roll it up and put it in the top - box.

To date, despite travelling some long distances in very poor weather on tour, it has never leaked and dries in minutes when hung up.

If I remember rightly, it cost around £830 in 2017, although I bought it off the peg for £700.00. The Halverssons replaced a BMW "Atlantis" suit that in itself was good, though not as comfortable in warmer weather and cost over £1,500 when bought in 2010.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »
I had a Halvarsson’s Odyssey jacket and pants for over 5 years. Top of the range but great in every way over that period.

Replaced last September with their Walkyr / Wish set. I hope they are as good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 04:40:09 PM »
I had a Bering jacket for nearly 20years and it was great, replaced it last year with another virtually new one off Ebay for £25. AND it doesn't leak. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal