Author Topic: My 500K2  (Read 489 times)

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
My 500K2
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:45:41 PM »
This is my second attempt to post a a continuation to my introduction from a couple of weeks ago. I have restored a couple of bikes over the years my first was a Suzuki GT380A but unfortunately I do not have any pictures of this it went back to Japan. Next I restored a a CB175 K4
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
I enjoyed restoring this but not riding it so it was sold on, after this I set about restoring a KH250 B1 always wanted one but bought a 250 Superdream instead in 1979. This took the best part of 7 years to complete but is totally original apart from the expansion chambers and seat cover, won't be doing this again hideously expensive, but this is a keeper.
Actually it has got electronic ignition and a replacement rectifier, but these make it more reliable.
I bought the CB500 from D&K in June 2018 as I had always wanted one because of the 4 into 4 exhaust. The chrome work on the bike was great apart from the wheel rims which were both shot, also the handlebars fitted were appalling.
After taking delivery of the bike I had to rebuild both wheels with stainless rims and spokes, replaced the brake pads, shoes, hoses, master cylinder seal and piston, caliper seal and piston and chain and sprocket set. I also had to rewire both handle bar switches and the handle bars themselves. The tank needed cleaning out and relining and the carburettors had to be totally stripped, ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt with keyster kits. The bike ticked over beautifully once I had resolved the issue with the wrongly sized connector I had fitted to my new wiring to the kill switch. This is how the bike currently looks.
I have no intention of a full on restoration this time, but will replace / repair sections as time and money permits, however I do want to obtain a replica 4 into 4 exhaust when they become available again.
Just because you are breathing, doesn't mean you are alive.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: My 500K2
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:54:09 PM »
Wow.. Those handlebars the bike came with are something else 😊😊😊😊 It looks a lot better now.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal