Author Topic: Vintage Honda Tester SRH500 Kowa Seiki Ltd  (Read 3395 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Honda Tester SRH500 Kowa Seiki Ltd
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
We had that one as well. AFAIK not a single mechanic could operate it except maybe Steve the workshop foreman.

Ah ! but you could work out Honda plain bearing shell  code selection Ken .. my local 5-Star dealer in Hull didn't have a clue about that. I tried  to talk them through it to order some 400/4 shells back in the day  and I sensed it went in one ear and came out of the other.

Would have loved to have had a go on that oscilloscope based tester ... right up my street  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »

I like seeing some of these old setup kits,  also looking in other's workshops to see good ideas too.

It appears fairly straightforward (with those crib cards to set it up) to use and would save time in servicing to run through a few things and give the operator reasonable view of setup.

Left panel is analogue multi-metre for checking volts,  amps etc. So general fault finding,  switching and generating output.

The centre panel is,  more or less,  analogue electronic tachometer ( pulse counter/ frequency monitor with integral circuit damping to give smooth display), reference of which is made to it in the Honda manuals in carburettor idle circuit setup.  Also seems to display dwell? On the green scale.  Plus capacitor check,  this could possibly be simple resistance,  or a simulated readout from switching time interpretation efficiency / deficiency to display "in range" components.  Not necessarily measurement of capacitance,  just observation of how clean the switching is on a time basis to predict if capacitor needs replacement.
This section you could see the operator connecting to,  then just flicking through the functions to quickly assess ignition primary circuit conformity and whether it required work or not. 

Right panel looks like you'd test the coil by running it from the test machine (so taking out the bike's primary switching)  to see if worked and could produce decent sparks.  Helps diagnose by splitting the "whole bike system" to identify which bit any fault exists in.  Coil ok,  youre looking at the bike.  Coil knackered,  replace it.

It all gives a bit of "workshop theatre " too in order to charge the customer more money  ;D

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 07:31:01 AM »
Any idea what it sold for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »
Any idea what it sold for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

413 USD

Offline jshonda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 06:08:29 PM »
Well, there's a blast from the present!
I have one of these which I have used on/off for about 45 years. I say 'a blast from the present', because i used this to test some mini cooper (new type) coils. Indeed, the machine did its business (after I repaired the multivibrator) and as such, it was a perfect demonstration for my students.
Thems wos the days, all yer needed wos a set of feeler gauges an' a 'ammer! :

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal