Author Topic: Seat cover quality  (Read 640 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Seat cover quality
« on: January 19, 2020, 07:09:58 AM »
My seat cover is worn and I consider ordering this one from David Silver: https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550K0-1974-USA/part_196849/ Any of you that knows about the quality?

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Seat cover quality
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »
Yes they are decent quality but must be fitted carefully to look right plus make sure Ă¾here are no sharp edges

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 06:42:46 AM »
Thanks Bryan. Does such a cover come with instructions? So far I have not found vids that demonstrate how to do it.

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 06:53:53 AM »
Not that i have seen
Where are you based?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »
The Netherlands

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »
Too far to pop over to Newent near me in Gloucester then.
My seat is away in weston  super mare at moment being done whilst Bob in Newent is the supplier of covers to Dave Silver but hard to get to ralk to

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 10:16:29 AM »
Like you I look forward to see the result. The dilemma I have: the original steel seat body on mine is just too good to replace. BTW, the gaffa tape on the document lid is not a bandage. It is there for when I need to repair something. For long rides like on vacations I can recommend an optional woolen seat cover like the one I cut out of an abandoned carpet. It is very, very comfy. Unfortunately my attempt to dye it black has failed miserably. :( Suggestions anyone to get it real black?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:18:11 AM by deltarider »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 09:42:22 PM »
Hmm... some have warned me that for my particular seat (77200-374-003) a new cover may not be a good option. Reason is that on this seat, that also was on the US models CB550, CB550K1 and CB550K2, you will never get that chrome strip back on again.
So what's the quality of this repro and do you know where it is made? https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/partnumber_77200374003P/
Is it the same as this one: https://www.cmsnl.com/products/seat-compdouble-non-oe_77200374003p/#.XjXvyiPvK_g
And how about this one? https://www.ebay.it/itm/HONDA-SELLA-PER-CB500-FOUR-K2/143312783920?hash=item215e1b8a30:g:tn8AAOSwpmhbwty2

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 09:42:44 AM »
They are all the same, I've heard reports that they tend to rock when fitted. You could buy the cheapest and fit the cover onto your base.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
They are all the same, I've heard reports that they tend to rock when fitted. You could buy the cheapest and fit the cover onto your base.
Sorry, I don't see what you mean by your last sentence. Could you paraphrase it?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »
You could buy the cheapest and fit the cover onto your base.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Do you suggest to order a new repro seat, then remove its cover to cover my old one? But the problem remains. It's about the optics. I'd like to have that (semi-) chrome strip around the seat again. I've heard that unlike the older CB500 model, you can't do it on a CB500K2-ED which model has the same seat as the CB550, CB550K1 and CB55OK2. I'm told that strip is vulcanised on the seat.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 05:15:51 PM »
The seat trim is part of the cover.

If you buy a new seat complete with cover then you can disassemble it and fit onto your old base. That's so long as the new base uses the same method of attachment as the old seat base which has small serrated clamps which grab the trim. Depending on the foam you can either use the old foam or the new foam. The new seat base isn't the same as the old, rubbers aren't the same, no manual box etc, because of that they tend to rock on the bracket for some reason, which the old base never did.

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 05:27:04 PM »
The original chtome/silver trim on a 500 was part of the cover and never seperate. Replacement covers used to be held on by an s shaped spring clip with a piece of u shaped plastic trim having a silver insert held by the same clip.
Honda never supplied seperate covers only a complete seat

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
Aha... I now got the picture. So that trim is somehow vulcanised onto the cover. Oddjob and Bryan, many thanks. I wonder what rubber parts of the old base bottom I could transplant to the repro to possibly avoid rocking. That Italian site mentions: Paese di fabbricazione:  Regno Unito which Google translates in: UK. Could that be true?
https://www.ebay.it/itm/HONDA-SELLA-PER-CB500-FOUR-K2/143312783920?hash=item215e1b8a30:g:tn8AAOSwpmhbwty2
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:42:30 PM by deltarider »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 12:17:08 PM »
The Italian site is misleading. It's the exact same one as DS and CMS are selling but they put it on a Honda box to try and fool people that it's a genuine Honda seat. Check the rubber mounts, nothing like genuine, no manual box (although the K0 never got that anyway)  and the way the seat cover is held at the front, the genuine one is held by small metal prongs which pierce the cover, that's glued down.

I suspect the substitute rubbers are what causes it to rock, it may be if the correct one were fitted it might cure that, depends on how accurate the base has been made, get the curvature wrong and it will rock. Hence why I thought using a genuine base a better solution.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal