Author Topic: Odd spark problem  (Read 1527 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Odd spark problem
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
I've just taken one off to meter it,  there's no continuity through the internal coating when checking across to the metal structure.

It's definitely an insulation coating they've used on the standard steel cover,  which implies that they came across what the OP is experiencing.

Edit; for Northy,  you could probably use an underseal or stone chip paint to do something like the same as Honda if you want to try something. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:38:54 PM by K2-K6 »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 10:17:38 PM »
...interesting K2-K6, are you suggesting there may be some kind of arcing going on? And if so, wouldn’t the points back-plate be the nearest ground?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 10:44:23 PM »
Simple answer is I don't know,  but putting together what's happening appears to confirm that insulation is desirable and used originally.

I'm drawing from a different field but I think has some relevance.  In wholesale film processing we had similar anecdotal earthing which ultimately showed as "lighting strike " marks on customer films from residual sparking if uncontrolled.  The principal variances being humidity and ionisation conditions within closed chambers of machinery.

The closest earth point is the other side of the points contact especially as they are just opening and closing.  As you indicate,  there may be an underlying initiator like a week performance from a condenser.  But clearly the coil wasn't being switched after a short period of running with the cover and no insulation.
A run with a dwell meter on it would give some insight into just how long contact is established / lost to give a relative idea of one set of points versus the other and maybe show as out of range.

Speculation,  I agree.  But something is changing in there that appears related to insulation on the cover.  Interesting subject though.

Wonder why they felt the need to coat it originally.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal