Author Topic: Alan Millyard  (Read 6878 times)

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
Alan Millyard
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:28:21 AM »
Sure some of you guys girls will be aware of this guy, but check out some of his work on youtube simply mind blowing. ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wE877ompoE

Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Alan Millyard
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »
He’s just finished building a 6 cylinder z1 engine - made from a pair of Z1 spares motors. He cut / welded the crank cases, block, head all in his small home workshop. He also made his own crank, camshaft, carbs from donor parts. The guy is a bit of a genius.

https://youtu.be/uK0xFOJT-Ts

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Millyard
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:03 AM »
He’s just finished building a 6 cylinder z1 engine - made from a pair of Z1 spares motors. He cut / welded the crank cases, block, head all in his small home workshop. He also made his own crank, camshaft, carbs from donor parts. The guy is a bit of a genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
James,
                I sent the video to Graham this morning asking him if he fancys doing it with a Honda  :o :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:59:51 AM by paul G »
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 09:06:17 AM »
He is a genius and a nice bloke that will turn up somewhere on one of his creations and stand chatting to anyone that wants to chat.He made a lovely Vee twin Velocette that looks like it’d come out of the factory
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Alan Millyard
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 09:22:51 AM »

James,
                I sent the video to Graham this morning asking him if he fancys doing it with a Honda  :o :o
Biggest problem with doing it with a sohc4 is the line boring required for the crank bearings. Allan openly admits that the ball bearing crank arrangement in the big z’s and H two strokes make the conversion a bit more straightforward. That almost makes it sound simple, which clearly it isn’t.

But personally, his vision, skill and determination to undertake these builds, all from his home workshop simply amaze me.  I’m in total awe of the guy.

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:43:28 AM »
I love the little 100cc Honda V twin  ;D ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »
And his V10 Viper engined bike. Not to mention. The 5 litre Flying Millyard Vtwin.using two radial aircraft cylinders

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »
I can't stand him, makes me sick when I see his workshop that is no more than a garage and what he turns out, he should be banned 😉. Seriously, a very nice guy and always willing to chat when at shows.
He also appears with Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove on the Motorbike Show and sometimes Shed & Buried, both well worth a watch.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »
I can't stand him, makes me sick when I see his workshop that is no more than a garage and what he turns out, he should be banned 😉. Seriously, a very nice guy and always willing to chat when at shows.
He also appears with Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove on the Motorbike Show and sometimes Shed & Buried, both well worth a watch.

A genius ... I think he does sub some machining out on occasion though, as someone went to a sub contractor and they were doing some compicated maching for him.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »

Henry Cole and Sam Lovegrove
Now there is a pair that get on my tits ::)
If I see one more show where they find a 60 year old bike clean the plug put some fuel in it and start it first kick  ::) ::)
I do watch all the shows though :o
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 10:56:10 AM »

If I see one more show where they find a 60 year old bike clean the plug put some fuel in it and start it first kick  ::) ::)

On 'Junk and Disorderly', where they buy and sell up and down the country at autojumbles, they are seen travelling around  in an old  ex-ambulance camper thing. Seen them at Newark Autojumble three times now and each time the camper is trailered in ... If you watch the programmes you often see the big trailer next to their pitch.  ;)

Don't really mind their programmes though if I am honest .. lets face it not much else on related to bikes apart from the odd Guy Martin programme.

Started watching the Suzuki feature of 'Twist-the-Throttle' repeat last week until they pictured a GT750 Kettle but described it as an in-line fourstroke.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:03:29 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 11:21:31 AM »
I did think How do they get all that stuff in the camper.
Now I know  ::)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »

On 'Junk and Disorderly', where they buy and sell up and down the country at autojumbles, they are seen travelling around  in an old  ex-ambulance camper thing. Seen them at Newark Autojumble three times now and each time the camper is trailered in ... If you watch the programmes you often see the big trailer next to their pitch.  ;)

Don't really mind their programmes though if I am honest .. lets face it not much else on related to bikes apart from the odd Guy Martin programme.

Started watching the Suzuki feature of 'Twist-the-Throttle' repeat last week until they pictured a GT750 Kettle but described it as an in-line fourstroke.

That's the 'magic' of TV. Why show all the boring & tedious bits such as cleaning the crud off engine cases, going to and from the chromers, painters, machine shops etc when they can 'do a deal' with an 'old mate' for a rare bike in bits and hey presto, an hour later its up, running and gleaming and all done in the same wooden shed!  I admit to watching them though, its that or Love Island  :o.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »

That's the 'magic' of TV. Why show all the boring & tedious bits such as cleaning the crud off engine cases, going to and from the chromers, painters, machine shops etc when they can 'do a deal' with an 'old mate' for a rare bike in bits and hey presto, an hour later its up, running and gleaming and all done in the same wooden shed!  I admit to watching them though, its that or Love Island  :o.

OK why not make it realistic add a carb clean and three kicks  ;) :D love island never seen it, but I bet it's more realistic  ;D 90% of the people watching their shows do what they are doing and think F O first kick  ::) ::)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 01:10:53 PM »
If you want a good day out. Thousands of bikes. And a good chance of meeting and chatting to  Alan. Go to  Calne bike day.normally last Saturday in July.

Well worth it.

Check out the latest news on the interweb

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal