Author Topic: Alan Millyard  (Read 6922 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Millyard
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »
On the Repair Shop.  Some punter bought in a Raleigh Chopper that needed restoring.  The chroming took no time to get back.  If that was me,I'd still be waiting for it.  They must have paid double to jump the queue.
And Ed China rebuilds an engine.  Drops it back in the car and it starts first time.   They don't show the fcuk ups, like forgetting to connect the battery or forgetting to put juice in.
The magic of telly innit.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 03:30:34 PM »
On the Repair Shop.  Some punter bought in a Raleigh Chopper that needed restoring.  The chroming took no time to get back.  If that was me,I'd still be waiting for it.  They must have paid double to jump the queue.
And Ed China rebuilds an engine.  Drops it back in the car and it starts first time.   They don't show the fcuk ups, like forgetting to connect the battery or forgetting to put juice in.
Yes on the other hand. It annoys me when those programmes with a deadline to meet always have an issue when it wont start at the last minute.....
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 03:53:17 PM »
Yes on the other hand. It annoys me when those programmes with a deadline to meet always have an issue when it wont start at the last minute.....
That's more Car SOS.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 04:39:23 PM »
Watch carefully in the background on Car SOS, they say were at the last few hours and will have to work all night to get it done (again). Then the camera pans around and lo and behold two other almost finished projects (that were both down to the wire in earlier episodes) are on a ramp and half under a sheet behind them. Utter bullshit to just try to inject some tension for the viewer. Nobody, and I don't care who you are, can restore an E-Type Jaguar in three weeks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
Watch carefully in the background on Car SOS, they say were at the last few hours and will have to work all night to get it done (again). Then the camera pans around and lo and behold two other almost finished projects (that were both down to the wire in earlier episodes) are on a ramp and half under a sheet behind them. Utter bullshit to just try to inject some tension for the viewer. Nobody, and I don't care who you are, can restore an E-Type Jaguar in three weeks.

Stop it, stop it you’re all shattering my illusions  :-X ;D ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 07:59:03 PM »
And then there's the real cost of restoring these old wrecks and then selling them on for a profit. Take Wheeler Dealers, Mike Brewer buys a TVR for £10k but it needs a complete new chassis. Ed China spends a week stripping the car to put the new chassis in place in addition to a lot of other work like renewing the brakes etc. Brewer then sells the car for £12k and claims they've made a big profit despite the new chassis cost £2k! Ed China obviously works for free and for the love of the work. I might try the same thing when I ask Trigger to rebuild my 750 engine for the Rickman 😁......
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »
I refuse to watch anything with Mr Cole in it. Can't stand the man. Watched an early episode of the Motorbike Show, when he was 'restoring' a classic Bonneville. He spent 10 minutes explaining about the carb...then handed it over to his 'mechanic' to bolt it on. Move along...nothing to see here....

Wheeler Dealers? It was always a giggle, and I used to play 'spot the bits they replaced but never mentioned'. Usually followed by a quick check on the DVLA website to see if the car was still actually on the road. If I was feeling particularly rough, I would search out the owner club forum for the car they had just done, to see what was being said. Usually got a chuckle or 2! You could often turn up what had REALLY happened to the car they had 'sold' to a member of the production team.

I prefer Car SOS ..... but I also think it would be better by far without the fake 'rush' all these programmes think we need. Without the fake blagging, the fake 'stealing' of the car, and the even more fake 'surprise reveal'. I have spent 18 months tinkering with my old Honda, slowly doing bits and pieces. It's therapy. I suffered badly from stress, and have some unpleasant things I have to cope with at home. When things get too much...I slope off to the shed, and do some work. If some git went and did it all for me....I would be FURIOUS! I would have to buy another and start over!

For me...it's not about the finished item. If it was...I wouldn't have an F2. It's about the pleasure of doing it.

And...in a swervy link back to the original post...that's why I find Alan Millyard's articles fascinating. Not only is he skilled, he is also imaginative and doing these things for the love of doing them. Not doing a job or trying to be a celebrity.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 09:15:16 PM »
This is what happens when entertainment gets confused with reality! Even if they do cheat over timescales etc., it's good to see that there are still folks around with genuine skills. :D

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
So, that Edd China, how come he has never got any oil / grease / crud / shite etc on his gloves or his long sleeve T shirt he wears under his short sleeved T shirt 🤔🤔🤔🤔 I only have to look at a bike and I'm covered in crap 😭😭😭😭
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:34:05 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
Folks....I'm really sorry to have to tell you......but those programmes on TV like Car SOS, Wheeler Dealers and Henry Cole..........well they are NOT real.

Really......they aren't.

Sorry.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
A few years ago the Antiques Road Trip came to the auction house we used to work and what a load of old bollocks that was. The vehicles were only driven a few yards by the celebs and the auctions rigged. But thats showbiz folks. The only redeeming feature was my 750 got on the telly.  ;D

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:52:17 PM by Moorey »

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
Car SOS and Wheeler dealers have a few things in common apart from doing up old cars obviously.  You have the cheeky chappie and the mechanic.  As others have said already, in the case of both shows the mechanic works for free, but another thing I've noticed on Wheeler dealers is when they buy a sporty car with ropey  looking alloy wheels, they get the wheels refurbed for say £50 a corner. Thats fair enough, but they often omit to mention the brand new set of tyres they invariably put on too, when chummy Brewer is doing his outlay totting up  at the end of the show. 

I have to say I do like both shows, but like Sumpmagnet I can't stand Henry Cole. He has one of those whiney voices that irritates the hell out of me.   I watched the Phil Read replica episode of his show, but had to turn it off half way through.   If I was Sam Lovegrove, I'd hit him around the back of the head with a Vincent Black shadow cylinder head when no one was looking.    ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:22:09 PM by cooleronthecoast »
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »
I get really p155ed off with producers that think we've all got the attention span of an American goldfish.
"Coming up.. blah blah (shows the best bits)" before the show starts and before the advert break.
After the ad break, there's the recap, in case we forgot what we were watching 5 minutes earlier.
Rant rant rant.😠

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 04:47:49 PM »
Car SOS and Wheeler dealers have a few things in common apart from doing up old cars obviously.  You have the cheeky chappie and the mechanic.  As others have said already, in the case of both shows the mechanic works for free, but another thing I've noticed on Wheeler dealers is when they buy a sporty car with ropey  looking alloy wheels, they get the wheels refurbed for say £50 a corner. Thats fair enough, but they often omit to mention the brand new set of tyres they invariably put on too, when chummy Brewer is doing his outlay totting up  at the end of the show. 

I have to say I do like both shows, but like Sumpmagnet I can't stand Henry Cole. He has one of those whiney voices that irritates the hell out of me.   I watched the Phil Read replica episode of his show, but had to turn it off half way through.   If I was Sam Lovegrove, I'd hit him around the back of the head with a Vincent Black shadow cylinder head when no one was looking.    ;)

I'm with you on Henry Cole, i cringe when ever i see him with his stupid childish antics, and yet i'm compelled to watch the next episode. Sam Lovegrove must be paid a good wedge to be on the same show as Cole.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 06:52:55 PM »
The Triumph combo at the start/end of Antiques Roadshow is owned and ridden by a chap I know in the VMCC, Bill with his wife Jean in the sidecar.  It was filmed at Tredegar House in Newport.  He told me it was a real pain in the A, he kept getting asked to ride through the gates again for a re shoot. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal