Author Topic: 350 and 400 clutch baskets  (Read 807 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
350 and 400 clutch baskets
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
Just building up this red 400/4 and was trawling through a box with clutch stuff.  I have a very low mileage clutch from a spare 350 engine and the 400 clutch which came from the red bike originally.  The 350 clutch basket (different part number from 400) has the identical top hat centre bush but it runs in a bronze bush, whereas the 400 centre bush runs direct in the alloy basket.  Dimensionally identical - and never seen a 400 one badly worn in the bore but as an engineer I’m tempted to use the one with the bronze bush as its as new.  Outer pressure plate is different as the 350 uses a circlip to hold the assembly onto the shaft, rather than the locknut, belville washer and lock tab.  Any idea why mother Honda changed the design and deleted the bronze bush?  Just not necessary perhaps?

Ian

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: 350 and 400 clutch baskets
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
Probably cost saving Ian. The CB160 cam covers/bearings had bronze bushes in them but the almost identical setup on the CD175 sloper was just plain alloy.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:59:02 PM »
Probably cost lick the jis screws, each one is a fraction of a penny cheaper than the flanged bolts but when you use millions!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
Yes, must be down to the bean counters - just wondered if there had been a problem with the bronze bush in service but my 350 never makes any untoward noises when the clutch is operated, which is the only time the basket spins on the shaft.  Think I’ll use the 350 version as it really does look like new and even the gear-hobbing marks are still evident.  Living here in Orkney I’m not going to be thrashing it up and down the M1 anytime soon.

Ian
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:15:19 AM by orcadian »

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
Yes, must be down to the bean counters - just wondered if there had been a problem with the bronze bush in service but my 350 never makes any untoward noises when the clutch is operated, which is the only time the basket spins on the shaft.  Think I’ll use the 350 version as it really does look like new and even the gear-hobbing marks are still evident.  Living here in Orkney I’m not going to be thrashing it up and down the M1 anytime soon.

Ian
Good decision. 👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »
Well Gareth, only time will tell but as I was 70 last year, it might be down to someone else to discover the error of my ways!
By coincidence, I see by your sig that you have a Street Triple and I’ve just finished making the triangular Dural plates and spacers for my mate’s Triple, so that he can fit the rear shocker from a CBR600 - apparently resolves the ‘bounciness’ at the rear end.
Ian

Went to the V&A in Dundee recently - quite good but seems like an expensive cafe with a few exhibits on show, or was I expecting too much?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
Well Gareth, only time will tell but as I was 70 last year, it might be down to someone else to discover the error of my ways!
By coincidence, I see by your sig that you have a Street Triple and I’ve just finished making the triangular Dural plates and spacers for my mate’s Triple, so that he can fit the rear shocker from a CBR600 - apparently resolves the ‘bounciness’ at the rear end.
Ian

Went to the V&A in Dundee recently - quite good but seems like an expensive cafe with a few exhibits on show, or was I expecting too much?
I've never suffered from any bounciness from my rear end, thankyou very much! 😂
Mine is the old R model with fully adjustable suspension, on standard settings it's just fine, even on a track day. I probably don't ride it hard enough to find the limits.

You are dead right about the V&A, it's like a half empty hangar. Great views down the River Tay, but only if you're in the pricey restaurant. They will be doing an exhibition on car design in the future, I'll try and encourage them to do one on motorcycle design! 🚴🔧
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
My mate’s is a 2011 non R version but he does ride it quite hard!  The V&A had a part clay part complete Jaguar E Pace and a film showing design to production - fairly interesting as Jags are another passion of mine, especially supercharged V8 Daimlers! Doubt that I would ever consider an Ever Ready U2 battery one though - or have they moved on from those?  Anyway, clutch all together now with a mix of the best 350 and 400 parts I had.

Took this pic when the clutch case had nowt in, so that I could get the agreed value sorted at renewal, rather than having my legs slapped midway through the policy.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Ian

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »
Looking good Ian. 👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 10:58:13 PM »
It’s almost 20 years since I was given this completely dismantled bike when my Nephew was clearing his late Father in-law’s shed.  Many of the NOS parts I started collecting back in the 90’s when a complete exhaust system and silencer were £150 from DS and that genuine front brake disc was a tenner!  Genuine mudguards, indicators and a whole raft of other minor parts plus a lot of bolts and fittings re-plated in my workshop. Original Perth registration with 666 in the plate.

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal