Author Topic: Rear indicators: grab rail or brackets?  (Read 430 times)

Offline michtag

• View Profile
Rear indicators: grab rail or brackets?
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
Hi guys,
My ’77 CB550K3 has rear indicators attached not to the grab rail (as I believe they should be) but to L-shaped short brackets held in place by the grab rail nuts (see photo of right side).
The grab rail itself has 2 holes on its bottom part, where I think the original brackets were welded on. I am guessing these came detached due to age and vibrations.
This is not a great idea (PO did this) as the left indicator is pressed on by the seat every time this is opened (which has been many times in my case, since I am still working on the bike) and it has now snapped in half.

My question to the experts is: what’s a good alternative to this or to the original placement? Has anybody used different brackets attached to the shocks or the rail, or anywhere else?
I am just looking for a viable solution, keeping the original indicators for now, but not necessarily an original replacement as a purist would like….
Cheers
-- I will fix it...or at least I will understand why I can't --
1977 Honda CB550K3

Offline Mr Helicop

• View Profile
Re: Rear indicators: grab rail or brackets?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »
One option is to use the number plate/lamp bracket but you might need to use the smaller type indicators. If your grab rail has the mountings intact you need the stems - part no. 33607-374-670 as shown.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:59:44 PM by Mr Helicop »

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:02:21 AM »
It isn't clear if the mounting points are missing from your grab rail but I fixed my indicators on with a couple of penny washers.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline michtag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 10:55:52 AM »
Thank you guys, but my grab rail has no mountings for the indicators (they must have snapped off as 2 holes are there, you can see them in one of the pictures I have posted.
I'll see if I can find any kind of clamp that may do the job. Something like this may work
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L4RM9DS/?coliid=I16V898LLHPKQ7&colid=1NS5EFPD8B8IA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
but may not be pretty.....
-- I will fix it...or at least I will understand why I can't --
1977 Honda CB550K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal