Author Topic: 1961 style coil  (Read 426 times)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
1961 style coil
« on: January 31, 2020, 08:18:31 PM »
Take a look at this 1961 coil from the CB92 I am restoring. Note that it is very similar in design to the later Honda coils but has much better fatigue protection of the HT coils coming out of the plastic encapsulation by having little wrap around steel brackets. Why the hell did they stop doing that? Much better design IMHO.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: 1961 style coil
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
Interesting Ash, though I’d be thinking those brackets are potentially (pun intended) a return to earth in damp conditions?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 11:46:41 PM »
Usual reason Ash, bean countrs got in the way!!!

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 06:05:56 AM »
Interesting Ash, though I’d be thinking those brackets are potentially (pun intended) a return to earth in damp conditions?

I don't think dampness would affect it and if the HT cable insulation is decent there shouldn't be any flashover to the metal bracket. By having strain relief, like that arrangement, it will prevent  any excessive flexing of the bond between the HT cable and the plastic moulded body and it is the breakdown of that bond which promotes moisture ingress into the coil IMHO. Even if the cable did flex at the steel bracket (but you will notice the extra sleeving added to prevent this), then you would be left with an inch or so of HT cable onto which you could add an in-line coupler of some sort or other repair. With the later Honda four style ignition coils, the fatigue occurs at the point that the HT coil exits from the plastic body and consequently, the  only repair is some form of invasive surgery.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:07:28 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal