Author Topic: Led bulbs?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Led bulbs?
« on: February 08, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
Hello.
I am converting my Xl250 motorsport to 12v
Has anyone had any experience in fitting Led indicator & clock bulbs. Into original Honda equipment.
If so. I would appreciate any advice regarding which bulbs fit & where to get them from.
Tia.
Sean.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Led bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »
If you use them for indicator bulbs you need to do one of two possible modifications because the LED bulbs only draw a small current which isn't enough to operate a standard bi-metal strip flasher unit.

Either

1. Wire a ballast resistor in PARALLEL with each of the 4 indicator bulbs to increase the current draw.

Or

2. Fit an electronic flasher unit which operates at the correct rate regardless of the amount of current flowing in the circuit. This would be the better option and, if you fit a high power electronic flasher unit it will work with LEDs, filament bulbs or a combination of both.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:42:54 PM »
If you use them for indicator bulbs you need to do one of two possible modifications because the LED bulbs only draw a small current which isn't enough to operate a standard bi-metal strip flasher unit.

Either

1. Wire a ballast resistor in PARALLEL with each of the 4 indicator bulbs to increase the current draw.

Or

2. Fit an electronic flasher unit which operates at the correct rate regardless of the amount of current flowing in the circuit. This would be the better option and, if you fit a high power electronic flasher unit it will work with LEDs, filament bulbs or a combination of both.
Option 2 is the best way to go, as most people use LEDs to reduce power use, increasing resistance completely cancels out any advantage to charging.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:37:52 PM »
Thank you for your inputs.
But what I need to know is. Has anyone fitted Led bulbs I to standard Stanley indicators? As I can envisage a problem with possibly the bulbs being too big to fit behind the lenses.
The reason for the 12v conversion is. The 6v system is dire.
So I'm fitting a set up from Electrex world. Using a battery eliminator capasitor. Because there is no 12v battery small enough to fit in the only space available. Therefore the need for Led bulbs. So any info would be appreciated.
Cheers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal