Author Topic: Why do we adjust camchain tension  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Why do we adjust camchain tension
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
I agree Gareth that it’s designed to be up to temp and running but with the cam not held securely that would give less slack as the cam COULD be a tad higher than when clamped but not more.  I will try your suggestion Bryan but can’t get to mine for a few days yet as other things are more pressing.  Everything on mine is new Honda apart from the crank and cam sprocket teeth - the only other places where a tiny bit of wear might take place.  The horseshoe I repaired with a new rivet swings as free as a soap opera couple.
As you say Bryan, not a very good system, but it did work and not sure Mr Honda would have been happy with people screwing down too hard on a bolt pushing the horseshoe instead.

Ian

Offline marroinia

• View Profile
Re: Why do we adjust camchain tension
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »
I started the bike, the idle is so much better, round and quiet! the whole thing sounds much healthier, the chain is still audible even when hot, and disapear around 2000 rpm. Maybe a bit too tight, but I don't want to touch nothing anymore, there is obviously a problem with tensioner rod springs or something but I'm happy with that. Can't wait to go ride! Bloody covid :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal