Author Topic: Orange/Red paint on switches  (Read 1039 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Orange/Red paint on switches
« on: February 20, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
When finishing off  refurbing my CB750 10/69 UK diecast RH bar switch (pretty knackered to begin with,  as bike had 46k on the clock and used through many UK winters  :(  ) I found that the engravings with the red/orange paint were really shallow compared with a NOS K1 UK switch I have (pictured next to K0 one)  and the normal paint I use (Humbrol model enamel 209) didn't really stand out very well because of the shallow engravings. So I filled with paint, wiped of the excess and  whilst still wet, I  sprinkled some orange/red pigment powder onto it (see link), dusted off the excess with melamine foam  and forced it into the wet paint and it looks a lot more distinct now. These switches are mega rare because they have the centre 'P' mark unlike the USA ones. Also I found that the NOS black kill switch knob I had,  had a very slightly shorter length shaft on it compared with the original UK K0 one,  so I had to modify the top aluminium body to get the circlip on ! (the black knob came from a USA style K1 switch with the dual throttle cable arrangement .. I didn't even know K1-s ever had the black knob but there you go.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-COLOURS-NEON-PIGMENT-NAILS-POWDER-DUST-OMBRE-PHOSPHOR-FLUORESCENT-GLOWING-UK/172418226333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471250725224&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:42:51 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Orange/Red paint on switches
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »

Fluorescent......are they going to glow faintly in the dark?

Top job as usual Ash.....what made you think of fluorescent pigment powder?. 

For reference, there is a company called Games Workshop (my son used to play with this stuff, it's all about painting little metal figures) who sell a range of paints in plastic Humbrol sized pots.... the beauty of it is, their range of colours is (or was) huge....and includes numerous shades of reds and orange. 

Added to that, the paint is acrylic, so it's simple to wipe clean any overspill with a damp cloth or finger, no harm will come to the underlying paint as there is no solvent involved, the coverage is very good, one coat is usually enough, it dries very quickly and once dry it's there for good, super durable......it could have been made for our purposes.

Mick.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »

Fluorescent......are they going to glow faintly in the dark?

Top job as usual Ash.....what made you think of fluorescent pigment powder?. 

For reference, there is a company called Games Workshop (my son used to play with this stuff, it's all about painting little metal figures) who sell a range of paints in plastic Humbrol sized pots.... the beauty of it is, their range of colours is (or was) huge....and includes numerous shades of reds and orange. 

Added to that, the paint is acrylic, so it's simple to wipe clean any overspill with a damp cloth or finger, no harm will come to the underlying paint as there is no solvent involved, the coverage is very good, one coat is usually enough, it dries very quickly and once dry it's there for good, super durable......it could have been made for our purposes.

Mick.

It was just a method I came up with to get an intense density of colour in a very shallow stamping Mick... the Humbol paint I used initially wasn't dense enough in pigment. The Humbrol factory used to be very near to where I worked but was destroyed by an inferno of a fire ... I remember standing in our works car park as the fire raged and you could hear all of the constant  popping of exploding paint cans. Sad times  a girl worker was killed in that fire.

I wiped the excess paint/pignent off with some melamine foam my mate in Japan sent me .. magic stuff.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
When finishing off  refurbing my CB750 10/69 UK diecast RH bar switch (pretty knackered to begin with,  as bike had 46k on the clock and used through many UK winters  :(  ) I found that the engravings with the red/orange paint were really shallow compared with a NOS K1 UK switch I have (pictured next to K0 one)  and the normal paint I use (Humbrol model enamel 209) didn't really stand out very well because of the shallow engravings. So I filled with paint, wiped of the excess and  whilst still wet, I  sprinkled some orange/red pigment powder onto it (see link), dusted off the excess with melamine foam  and forced it into the wet paint and it looks a lot more distinct now. These switches are mega rare because they have the centre 'P' mark unlike the USA ones. Also I found that the NOS black kill switch knob I had,  had a very slightly shorter length shaft on it compared with the original UK K0 one,  so I had to modify the top aluminium body to get the circlip on ! (the black knob came from a USA style K1 switch with the dual throttle cable arrangement .. I didn't even know K1-s ever had the black knob but there you go.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-COLOURS-NEON-PIGMENT-NAILS-POWDER-DUST-OMBRE-PHOSPHOR-FLUORESCENT-GLOWING-UK/172418226333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=471250725224&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

(Attachment Link)

Hi Johnny,
Ash has recently posted a piece on this and came up with a great way of getting the required colour, finish and depth.  Not sure yet about the melamine foam suppliers in Orkney!  Perhaps Jude’s fabric shop in Bridge street might know of it.

Ian

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal