Author Topic: CB 550 Two Neutrals  (Read 567 times)

Offline Mr Helicop

• View Profile
CB 550 Two Neutrals
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
I seem to keep finding a neutral when changing 4th to 5th or 5th back to 4th, not all the time but quite often. Anyone else found this problem or is it my shifting that is at fault?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB 550 Two Neutrals
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 10:57:17 AM »
Difficult to assess without being in front of it,  but slightly worrying. 

When you get neutral,  do you have to let the lever go and then try again? As opposed to just keep pulling it?  And then after getting the gear,  does it stay in that ratio reliably?

If it stays ok after second application of lever,  then it would suggest something amiss with the selector mechanism and how that turns the drum.

If it falls out of gear once you think it's fully engaged and driving torque through it,  you'd probably also consider the condition of the selector forks and if they are bent.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
Is this while riding or with the bike on the centre stand and going through the gears ?

If when riding: If you have big boots on you don't get the feel or the gear lever is in the wrong position. Should be a dot on the shaft and a dot on the lever that need to line up  ;)

Offline Mr Helicop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »
It never slips out once the gear is in and its when riding, I haven't tested on the stand, as it doesn't happen every time I am wondering if it's a clumsy boot problem! My last bike in the 1970s was a triumph so perhaps not used to left hand gear changing. Anyway, I will check gear selection on the stand and also the lever position. Thanks for the advice guys.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal