Author Topic: flasher unit??  (Read 3080 times)

Offline fat lad

• View Profile
flasher unit??
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »
Hi me again, got my battery charged cleaned all connections and now the indicators are flashing realy fast! is this a unit fault? i did notice once before i got a belt of the casing of the unit please help cheers jonny

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: flasher unit??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:14 AM »
The flash rate is determined by the amount of current drawn by the circuit. It heats the bi-metal strip inside the unit which makes/breaks the connection.

Normally, when the flashers are slow (or don't flash at all) it is because there is too little current - ie the battery voltage is low or there is a poor connection(s) (or one of the bulbs has blown!)

Too fast means the opposite.
Wrong bulbs? - should be 12V 21W
Battery voltage too high  :o - measure at 3000rpm and let us know (should be ~14.5V)

Of course, the unit could be faulty. Is it the correct one?

When you see cars or vans on the road with this problem, it is usually because they have a trailer unit fitted and it's been wired up wrong!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline fat lad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:46:49 AM »
Cheers steve ill have a look into it, im sure all the bulbs are correct as i restored it last year and they are all new, as the flasher unit goes its the nippon denso one i belive to be original? would the fact that i got a belt off the casing be anything to do with the battery drainning? ( my other post??) as this would point me to a short? i did pull it in bits when i did the resto and it had a bit of corroding where the earth touches the casing, i cleaned that and it was fine until now, ill check all bulbs the power voltage at 3000 rpm and report back many thanks

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »
Are these orginal indicators? I have dinky (smaller) lights on my CB650, and they flash faster as Steve said it's due to the current they draw changing the voltage drop across the flasher unit, I think there is an MOT requirement on speed of flashing, but mime passes each year
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
IIRC (what a great "forum acronym"...) the MOT rate is between 60-120 flashes per minute.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:15:14 AM »
Or:-
You can say one and two and three etc but not thirteen fourteen fifteen etc

Offline fat lad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »
hi all, checked the bulbs 21w pulled the flasher unit in bits again ( i dont know why) put it back together and low and behold they work!! i dont know why but im not going to argue with the honda genie 8) thanks again for all your speedy words of wisdom, regards jonny

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal