Author Topic: Ignition switch circuit  (Read 580 times)

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Ignition switch circuit
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
I'm currently cleaning up my loom, just wondering about this.
The ignition switch of the 350f (under tank) has 4 wires.
Ignition off: no connections.
Ignition on: 2 pairs of 2 wires are connected.
Park: 1 pair of 2 wires is connected.

In the 'on' position, what is the functionality of the 'second' switching connection. Br - Br/w?
This circuit seems to just connect 2 positives of instrument lights and rear light...

Should I choose to do away with the "park" functionality, could I just go to a 2 wire ignition switch and hard-wire the br - br/w connection?
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition switch circuit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 06:42:33 AM »
If you dont want the park facility you can use a two wire switch but not sure if you would need to join the other pair, you need to check what the original switch does

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »
That's exactly my question.

I don't quite see/understand the functionality of the br / br-w wire being switched, other than create a circuit for the parking light in position 2.
My conclusion would be that I can reduce the loom further and connect br / br-w together for normal functionality of the lights in position 1 of the key.

(BTW I started with a 400/4 loom, and plucked all 'unneeded' wires out to create a 350f loom, and took indicator wiring out, took horn out, basically it would be just a basic ignition and charging system and normal lights and braking lights...)
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22:40 AM »
Looking at that diagram in position 1 the br and br/white are connected together so that the idiot lights iluminate when the rear light is on. In pos 2 the rear light is connected to the battery.

Legaly you need a horn and on mot, if it needs one, it has to be audible above engine noise

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
Looking at that diagram in position 1 the br and br/white are connected together so that the idiot lights iluminate when the rear light is on. In pos 2 the rear light is connected to the battery.

Legaly you need a horn and on mot, if it needs one, it has to be audible above engine noise

I'm in The Netherlands, we don't have MOT here on motorcycles.  ;D
Apart from that, obviously there are strict rules for any vehicle on the road, and if not compliant you can be stopped and the bike's paperwork suspended until proven legal again, so of course it makes sense to follow the rules.

Luckily, this motorbike is old enough (1973) to be exempt from blinkers (law says it's mandatory only from 1997 (!) onward apparently). Horn I don't know, I don't think I ever had a working horn on my CB's though.
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
According to the Highway Code...

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

Not that anyone does, but that's why there's a parking light position on the lock.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
According to the Highway Code...

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

Not that anyone does, but that's why there's a parking light position on the lock.

I understand that, but according to Dutch law, this is not mandatory for motorcycles.
Even a brake light is only mandatory if the motorbike is homologated after 1975  :o.
But don't worry, I'll definately be keeping that...
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 02:53:26 PM »
Erwin, I think your conclusion is correct.  The wiring was separated out into two different ignition switch contacts in order to allow for the use of just the front and rear "position" or "parking" lights – or, in the case of the US model, just the rear, as there's no front position light.

If you have no need for the parking lights feature, no need to wire the switch for it - hardwiring the brown and brown/white wires should work, regardless of whether you have wiring that matches the UK or USA version.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal