Author Topic: Air box to Carb Rubbers  (Read 790 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Air box to Carb Rubbers
« on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:01 AM »
Hi all,

Having endless frustrations trying to mate my K2 carb inlets to the airbox rubbers, which appear 5mm too short... and not square on. (If I tighten the jubilees too much they simply slide the rubbers clear of the carb inlet manifolds)

The pic describes it better.

Am I missing something obvious, or simply playing with crap pattern parts?

Ta muchly,
Simon
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:36:50 AM by Lobo »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Air box to Carb Rubbers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:26:55 AM »
You are using jubilee clips not the proper bands which are narower. Thats the first problem, there may well be others

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »
Would it be possible to elongate the mounting bracket hole so the airbox could slide a bit closer?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 11:26:51 AM »
Also check you have the right tube on each, the right way round, from the cylinder head to the carb.

They aren't the same, mine (original) were numbered 1 to 4 (from the left), inner and outer pairs are the same as each other but mounted the other way up as mirror images, also you can probably get them back to front too!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:30:02 AM by MrDavo »
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »
Cheers Brian, though methinks not the issue as the rubbers barely meet / mate with the carb  flanges.
Bob... not keen to modify the airbox unnecessarily to suit possibly pattern parts (?) - surely it should go together as a snug fit?
Mr Davo - thanks, will have a look tomorrow, though thought the different parts & numbering’s only applied to the carb-inlet manifold rubbers?
Thanks gents...

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 11:44:20 AM »
thought the different parts & numbering’s only applied to the carb-inlet manifold rubbers?
Thanks gents...

there the ones I'm suggesting you check, if you've had them off - I managed to get them in the wrong order or the wrong way round without too much effort, but then the carbs were in the wrong place for the airbox rubbers to fit as they should. Checking the carb to airbox rubbers in my parts book, all four are the the same part

Or, you could be right about crap pattern parts.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 12:13:32 PM »
I was suggesting modification of the mounting brackets?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
Simon - are you using genuine or repro carb to head rubbers?

Also, regardless of ten being genuine/repro, the angle these are installed on the head can influence the position of the carb inlet face (as you're sitting on the bike, if you rotate #1/2 anti-clockwise and #3/4 clockwise, you can alter the angle of incidence of the full carb rack, and win back a few more mm towards closing the gap to the airbox - hope that makes sense..?).

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:04 PM »
Hey James, will take a look at your suggestion. Basically I’ve been changing out the hardened old engine inlet rubbers using ‘new’ OEM parts. I was diligent in ensuring the numbering system observed, and put the numbers uppermost. You’re right, it leaves the whole rack inclined upwards / towards the rear, and if I can negate this I’ll indeed win back a few mm.

I don’t know whether the airbox rubbers are pattern or OEM, if I can’t succeed using your suggestion this may be the next port of call....

...thanks bob7 / MrDavo, appreciated.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 06:46:22 AM »
Wow. A learning curve here - I hadn’t appreciated how crap (and shrivelled) my airbox rubbers were... until I got a (very pliable) set of new ones in my hand. Wasted 2+ hrs Fri trying to coax it all together with the old rubbers - gave up in disgust. A mate subbed me his new set (+ bands) - done and dusted in 15 minutes, and undoubtedly, air tight.

Thanks all for the various inputs... James the twisting tip was a great one; it really did make a big difference ‘incidence’ wise to the angle of the carb faces. That said, with all new OEM rubbers now it’s gone together as per book... good for another 50 years.

Simon

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 10:04:36 PM »
Wow. A learning curve here - I hadn’t appreciated how crap (and shrivelled) my airbox rubbers were... until I got a (very pliable) set of new ones in my hand. Wasted 2+ hrs Fri trying to coax it all together with the old rubbers - gave up in disgust. A mate subbed me his new set (+ bands) - done and dusted in 15 minutes, and undoubtedly, air tight.

Thanks all for the various inputs... James the twisting tip was a great one; it really did make a big difference ‘incidence’ wise to the angle of the carb faces. That said, with all new OEM rubbers now it’s gone together as per book... good for another 50 years.

Simon
Excellent - glad to hear it Simon. Took me a while to realise (and indeed believe with my own eyes) the impact a few degrees of rotation of the carbs rubbers has on the angle of the whole rack. Glad you got it sorted. James

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal