Author Topic: The Covid Thread  (Read 33167 times)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Covid Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2020, 12:25:12 AM »
My Triumph T100  lost all drive one day. The clutch had fallen off the shaft because the last muppet to bolt it on had left out the woodruff key. I took the cover off and fixed the clutch back on as best as I could. I left the chaincase oil in the gutter and rode home as gently as possible!
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
Kids putting Rainbow paintings in windows are all very well, but not having the colours of the spectrum  in the right order bugs my ocd as much as rogue apostrophes.

I don’t suppose proud parents would appreciate a note through the letterbox explaining that its violet indigo blue green yellow orange red. I had VIBGYOR beaten into me at school, the wife (who is a teacher) knows it the other way round, some mnemonic about Richard of York.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Greg65

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2020, 02:40:03 PM »
Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain. Oh the scars....
Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.
Honda CB400 1976
Suzuki GS1000 1978

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
The Covid Thread
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »
Some of us had to learn it in order to read the value markings on resistors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:56:05 PM by SteveD CB500K0 »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2020, 03:32:20 PM »
Steve, don’t forget black and brown - they might get upset being left out!

B,Br,R,O,Y,G,B,I,V

Ian

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2020, 03:44:46 PM »
Steve, don’t forget black and brown - they might get upset being left out!

B,Br,R,O,Y,G,B,I,V

Ian

Plus the silver and gold tolerance band  ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
I was trying not to confuse the non-enlightened (too much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
LPJ806K: "Goldie" - Back from the Dead

This is my third 500/4 (not counting the 550s - more on them later).

I always wanted a gold one and have recently sold the black one (see posts on "CJF") and the "Silver Machine".

"Goldie" has languished for the last 34 years. There are odd MOTs and SORN notices, but the bottom line is that when she changed hands in 1980, she had 37,367 miles on the clock. Today, 34 years later, she has covered 37,420 - that's 53 miles in 34 years...

This blog will form the basis of the ongoing story. I'm not an anorak and just want to enjoy riding the bike, rather than worry about whether the seat is correct for a "K0" or not. Having said that, the seat is not correct and I've had an original 1972 seat in my garage for the last 5 years waiting for this day...  (oops, I've started...)

The bike was recommissioned by Sean Brennan of SB Engineering in Woodcote (Oxon) who comes highly recommended. With a shiny new MOT, it took me about 20 seconds on the DVLA website to get her taxed. Now all road legal. Just needs riding!

First Ride: 5th October 2014

Having got "Goldie" back right at the end of probably the warmest and driest September ever and with a dreadful weather forecast, it was with some trepidation that I looked out of the bedroom curtains at a reasonable hour (post Suzuka Grand Prix) to find a glorious sunny (if not warm) morning. Time for a ride...

Nervous. Last time I rode one of these was about 5 years ago and I've ridden a series of modern Triumphs since then. Would it go? Would it stop? Would it piss fuel all over the swingarm and the road?

The answer was "Yes" to all of those...

Fuel on. Choke on. Thumb the starter and she bursts into life.

As I remember, a cacophony of rattles at tickover with that glorious four-pipe Honda soundtrack.

First impressions? The front disc brake is absolutely useless (even on a dry sunny morning) - I'm going to have to take it apart and take a look. The throttle is very heavy and it feels very small.

I guess it is about the same physical size as the Street Triple that I rode the other day, albeit with less than half the power. I am definitely sitting "on" it and not "in" it as I do with the Tiger.

Filled it up with fuel. Yes it leaks out of carb #1 (more fixing to do). The neutral light doesn't work and the indicator switch has no central detente.

I really need to do a few miles and then go home and check that all the nuts & bolts are still there, that the tyres are still inflated and the oil level hasn't dropped. I needn't have worried. It was great.

After 20 miles or so I headed home. Maxed at about 75mph (ish) which was fine. Felt good, handled OK (a bit hard) and sounded great.

All in all, very pleased. It is still filthy after 8 years in a barn and there's definitely a "patina of age" about the bike. Love it!

K0 or K1? 2nd November 2014

First up: I am a rider, not a restorer...

I assumed that all my 1972 bikes were K0s,  1972=K0, 1973=K1 and 1974=K2 (seemed reasonable to an engineer like me).

Not the case. It seems that the K0 was only shipped in the USA, so any UK K0 was either an import or extremely rare.

The differences are important if you are trying to refurbish or restore one of these (not least in the price and availability of the parts).

Many thanks to my good friend Bryan Jones for this summary:

• Small reflectors on the headlamp ears with 5mm thread (later big ones were 6mm)
  • Round pins on the electrical panel block connectors
  • Forks have the internal threaded bar from the top nut to damper rod
  • Different pattern on seat cover (large squares)
  • Hook on seat lock with different lock on frame
  • Side panels should have a transfer underneath the 500 four badge saying "Honda Motor Co; Tokyo Japan"

Here's a K0 seat that I bought on eBay.com about 10 years ago:

Compared with the K1 seat fitted to the bike:

Note that the K1 seat has a badly fitted cover and no strap fixings.

So, I have a K1.

Broken Filler Cap. 2nd October 2015

About to go out for my MOT and find that the fuel filler cap latch has disintegrated!

No fuel and no way of opening the cap to add any.

Bugger!

Gap while I moved house (July 2016) and finally decided to sell it and buy from JamesH (more later)

Rich bought "Goldie"
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2020, 04:57:43 AM »
G’day  from Perth (Oz)  just wondering what you know about the vacuum gauges you recommender . I see they are in Queensland and not on the market yet . Any info appreciated .PS i bought a few postie bikes at Auctions as Australia apostles where changing to the Honda Cub . I still have one great fun .

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2020, 06:49:37 AM »
That is a nice little Postie bike... Thankfully "lock-down" is starting to be relaxed a bit over here on the East Coast.

If you mean Raytech automotive.. they are Perth Based.
Their newest version of the Synchroking has apparently passed all their in house testing and will begin shipping shortly for pre-orders.
I havent ordered one yet but will probably do so in the next couple of days...
https://raytechautomotive.com/collections/frontpage/products/synchroking-4s-mkii
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2020, 10:18:59 AM »
Going back to resistor colour codes, what was the mnemonic you used before you knew it? Mine was
Black Beetles Running On Your Garden Bring Very Good Weather.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2020, 12:39:17 PM »
To resurrect an old thread, now masks are a thing, here's mine....

sorry if it gives you a cricked neck, I thought Photoimage let you rotate phots, but not that I can see.

Three Fat Bastards were an excellent rock covers band back in the 90's, I found an old tour tee shirt in my cleaning rags bin, the wife cut and sewed a mask out of it, following instructions on the interweb.

Orcadian will confirm that Twatt, Orkney, is a real place, but whether there was ever an establishment there called Hugh Cants is another matter.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »
Covid has not been to bad for me, I 'm a software developer for a living so working from home was never an issue, I did acquire a couple of new toys though.

A new fangled battery electric lawn mower and BMW R1150RT, and the mower cost more that the Beemer
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
  [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2020, 06:03:53 PM »
Mnemonic was
Billy Brown Reveled On Your Gin But Prefers Good Whiskey.

We had Purple not Violet

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2020, 06:25:57 PM »
The servo brakes need to be watched closely on the R1150RT Jonny, the servo has a habit of going to lunch early and leaving you with only "Emergency Braking". Changing the fluid in all of the brake circuits annually is probably a worthwhile investment!

Otherwise, a very capable tourer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal